• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I transfer an e book from ADE to calibre and then to a sony ereader on a Mac

Aug 11, 2009 Aug 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've read the past forums on this and I'm still having a real problem. I've got a Mac, my ADE is version 1.7 and my Sony reader is a 505. I can download an ebook into ADE but I can't get it into calibre to add it to my Sony, everytime I try an drag it across it won't leave ADE. I can't add it via calibre as the file and library option is greyed out. I've tried to authorise the sony on both the original PC I used it on and the new mac I just bought but can't find this option anywhere. Please help, its driving me nuts ow and I'm not very technical! Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

You are making it too complicated -- just copy the file onto the Sony Reader using the Finder.  If you don't know where the file is, Digital Editions will list the location in the More Info dialog.

Note this will not work for books that you got from a Library.  The only way to successfully get those books onto a Sony Reader is to use Digital Editions on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are making it too complicated -- just copy the file onto the Sony Reader using the Finder.  If you don't know where the file is, Digital Editions will list the location in the More Info dialog.

Note this will not work for books that you got from a Library.  The only way to successfully get those books onto a Sony Reader is to use Digital Editions on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I think I had read so much about how difficult this was going to be and how incompatible everything was going to be that I expected the worst - this is so easy now - thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2009 Aug 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This in so longer true... Sony has come out with the Library app for the Mac, and, once you've downloaded the book from your public library, and authorized it with Adobe Digital Editions, you can import it into the Sony Library software and transfer it to the PRS Reader.

NOW, If Adobe could just get the Digital Editions app to recognize the PRS Reader (which it still won't do) we wouldn't even need toe Sony Library software and could go backto Calibre.

I still don't really TRUST Sony with an app that talks to their servers, after the fiascos with the rootkits on CDs a few years back.

I do like being able to check books out of the library...that's just COOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been given a sony prs-300 and having tremendous problems getting books on to it.

I have been able to buy books which are downloaded to Adobe Digital editions. ADE does not see the reader.

The Sony e-book library software won't work on a mac - it installs but displays nothing, and I can't download into it.

I tried the suggestion above of simply copying the epub from ADE  onto the reader and the book appears, but all pages are 'protected'.

Am at a complete loss as  to what to do now.

Can anyone help ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me:

OK, you've installed Sony eBook Library v3, and Adobe Digital editions, you've set up your accounts and authorized your computer on both of them, and you've authorized your Reader with the Sony Library application.

You go to the public library ebook download page, either through the Sony Library or just through a bookmark.

You check out a book, and open it in Adobe Digital Editions, which still won't recognize your Reader.

BUT, in the Sony Library app, you can now click "File, Import.." and go find the pdf you downloaded with the Adobe app.

On my Mac, it was in ~/Documents/Digital Editions

Import it, and drag it to your Reader.

The first time you do this, it will ask you to authorize the Reader with your Adobe ID.

Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wygit

Thanks for your reply, but the essence of the problem is that Sony ebook library V3 software doesn't work on my mac. So I can't use it to do anything.

It clearly is an issue I have to take up with Sony, but in the meantime I was wondering whether anyone had a workaround that would enable adobe digital editions to recognise and authorise the reader. I have bought a couple of books I would like to be able to read on the reader.

I have tried simply dragging the file across, which it appears to do but will not display the book as it's drm protected and the reader is not authorised.

Its very frustrating as I was bought the reader as a present as I am immobile for 6 weeks following an operation... It looks like I will be walking again before I get the reader to work !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What OS are you running?

The 3.0 software ran on my macbook with both 10.5 and 10.6.

With the number below, I actually got a human who was very helpful.

I had a problem because my Sony Reader was bought used and had to be deauthorized on their end and reauthorized on mine.

Please contact our telephone support staff who will be happy to provide further diagnosis and assistance at: (877) 263-2863.

NOTE: Our eBook Store technical service team is available:
           9:00 am - 11:00 pm (EST) Mon - Fri
           11:00 am - 6:00 pm (EST) Sat & Sun

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines