Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

concatenating string in cache query

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if I concatenate strings within the query I write in a <cfquery> tag with dbtype="query"?

I want to do something similar to the following:

<cfquery name="a_query" dbtype="query">

SELECT

('$ ' + TotalProfit) AS TotalProfit2

FROM SomeCachedQuery

</cfquery>

I can do this if the query is run on the SQL server, but not with the cached query.If this is not possible, is there some code I can wirte that does the same thing?

Thanks!

Jason

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Nov 29, 2009 Nov 29, 2009

Does this actually work for you?  It doesn't for me,

unless I case TotalProfit to be a varchar, first.

As Adam said, you need to cast the value to a varchar first. Either in the original query or within the QoQ:

SELECT '$ '+ CAST(TotalProfit AS VARCHAR) AS TotalProfit2

FROM SomeQuery

However, you could just use NumberFormat() in your output. Unless there is some reason you need to do this in a QoQ..

#NumberFormat(SomeQuery.TotalProfit, "$-9999999.00")#

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you can do it in the original sql, you should.  If you want to do it in ColdFusion, look at the query functions such as queryaddcolumn and querysetcell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if I concatenate strings within the query I write in a <cfquery> tag with dbtype="query"?

I want to do something similar to the following:

SELECT

('$ ' + TotalProfit) AS TotalProfit2

FROM SomeCachedQuery

</cfquery>

I can do this if the query is run on the SQL server, but not with the cached query.If this is not possible

That is quite possible. In fact, it is so common you will come across it all over the place.

Just to confirm: what you're trying to do should be something like

<cfquery name="SomeQuery" datasource="someDSN">
     SELECT TotalProfit
     FROM someTable
</cfquery>

SELECT ('$ ' + TotalProfit) AS TotalProfit2
     FROM SomeQuery
</cfquery>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FROM SomeQuery
</cfquery>

Does this actually work for you?  It doesn't for me, unless I case TotalProfit to be a varchar, first.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Nov 29, 2009 Nov 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this actually work for you?  It doesn't for me,

unless I case TotalProfit to be a varchar, first.

As Adam said, you need to cast the value to a varchar first. Either in the original query or within the QoQ:

SELECT '$ '+ CAST(TotalProfit AS VARCHAR) AS TotalProfit2

FROM SomeQuery

However, you could just use NumberFormat() in your output. Unless there is some reason you need to do this in a QoQ..

#NumberFormat(SomeQuery.TotalProfit, "$-9999999.00")#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FROM SomeQuery
</cfquery>

Does this actually work for you?  It doesn't for me, unless I case TotalProfit to be a varchar, first.

--

Adam

Yes, Adam, it works for me. But then, I take it for granted TotalProfit is of type char or varchar. The title and Jason_y's opening phrase("I was wondering if I concatenate strings") give that impression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FROM SomeQuery
</cfquery>

Yes, Adam, it works for me. But then, I take it for granted TotalProfit is of type char or varchar. The title and Jason_y's opening phrase("I was wondering if I concatenate strings") give that impression.

Well... sure.  To concatenate one string ("$") to something else, both are going to have to end up being strings at some stage.  But it seems unlikely that a column that:

a) is having a dollar-sign applied to the beginning of its value;

b) is called "TotalProfit";

is going to be a string to start with.

Still... stranger things have happened, I guess.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the concatonation is static text to a db field, a simple way to do it is in the output, not in the query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2009 Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. The TotalProfit column in my original query is a numeric field and casting it in the QofQ did the trick. The reason I wanted to add the dollar sign in the query instead of a <cfouput> is I wanted to use the result of the query and bind it to a cfgrid (HTML version). This tag had attributes that allow you to add numberformat / dollarformat, but they're only for the Flash version of the cfgrid. It was unavailable for the HTML version. I considered using the Flash version, but this version did not allow you to bind data to the grid. I wanted the page navigation / column sorting that binding allows.

I'm not too sure why cfgrid have different attributes for different grid types. I kinda wish the binding and the number format both exist at the same time.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation