4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2009 7:18 PM by Chemol RSS

bitmap billboard

Chemol Community Member

Does anyone know what the typical (highway) billboard size is, and what is typical resolution needed for pixel based imagery?  I have heard anywhere from 75 ppi to 150 ppi - thoughts?

Thx!

• 1. Re: bitmap billboard
          RenéG Community Member

Don't know their size, but I heard the resolution was as low as 25 ppi.

• 2. Re: bitmap billboard
            Paul Cutler Community Member

The average size is 48' x 14' and at full size they are usually around 20ppi. But rarely do you work full size, most of the time it's to what they call 1/4 scale, confusing, because what they mean is 1/4" = 1'. I would call that 1/48 scale. They always state the dimensions height first and then width so they call their standard size 14x48. Must be a holdover from the pre-PS days.

The specs for large signage are all over the map so you need to get good information from the vendor before you start.

pbc

• 3. Re: bitmap billboard
              Chemol Community Member

Wow.. That low eh?  I'll need to look into it with the output provider.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: bitmap billboard
                Chemol Community Member

Thank you Paul.  That's exactly the info I was looking for, very helpful before I tackle this project.  I was starting to freak out wondering how I would interpolate a photo that size  - I was thinking I would have to increase it to 150 ppi.  I'll verify once I find out who the client is going to use as a vendor ~ thanks so much!

Chemol