• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captive 4 EXE "Stream Read Error" after adding digital cert

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Captivate for about a year or so now at my job.  We started with CP3 and recently upgraded to CP4.  This morning I was made aware of a problem that has been happening since the upgrade.  When EXE files are published using CP4 and then signed (I use tech-pro codesign with a code from Verisign) they give the error message: Stream read error.  (next window) '$' is not a valid integer value.

I tested a CP3 EXE publish (I keep both versions on my computer as I sometimes have to work on old files and some things we do don't seem to update well into CP4, not important to the question, though I suppose it could be if it's what might be causing the error) by republishing and signing the new CP3 EXE.  It worked perfectly fine.  The CP4 EXEs work prior to signing, its only after signing that the error occurs.

I've been trying and trying to figure out if there is some setting I'm missing, but I can't find it.  Has anyone else ran into this problem?

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Typically the $ is not a valid integer error manifests when you have a .EXE file that is trying to open a SWF and the SWF cannot be found.

As you say the issue only happens after you "sign" the file (not sure how that is done) I'm guessing the process is linking in a SWF that the EXE isn't able to find.

Sorry I can't offer more. You might need to contact the vendor of whatever software you are using to sign the file and see if they can tell you what happens during the process. Sorry, but to me this would seem to be a clear cut case of the fault lying with the software used to sign the file more than an issue with Captivate. Especially as you seem to infer things are just dandy until the EXE is signed.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure if that actually is the problem, though it could be.  I'm not inclined right now to accept its just the signing since the signing doesn't negatively affect CP3 EXE publishes, only CP4 ones.  Regardless, do you know of any way to "Redirect" the EXE to the swf? (Even though I'm not actually linking to any SWF within the CP file, I know it publishes out to them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm a bit unclear on what you are asking with that. But I do have a question of my own to ask.

If you take that EXE file and just run it without putting it through the signing process, does it work without issue? If so, I would have to conclude that it has something to do with the signing that is causing it to go wonky.

Captivate 3 and Captivate 4 are different beasts with respect to the output they produce. Just because somethig works dandy with version 3 output is no guarantee it will continue to do so with Captivate 4.

I do know that Captivate 4 offers the ability to choose whether additional SWF content is embedded in the main SWF or if it is Externalized. But assuming things work fine with the EXE prior to signing it, I wouldn't expect a change here to really have any influence. Then again, I never claim to know all there is to know. I've seen things that surprise me. So you might experiment with that. (Edit > Preferences)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I can ramble a bit.  You had mentioned that the EXE might not be linked to the SWF anymore.  I was wondering if you knew a way to tell the EXE where the SWF was (If I can even find it for that matter).  Kind of like re-linking a local link.  I tried publishing the EXE with the SWF externalized, at least I think I did, I changed the settings in the preferences, but nothing happened.  There was no real change in the EXE and I saw no external SWF.  It's possible its the codesigning utility.  It's basically something I found that tech-pro released to make signing of files easier, since the normal process of signing a file under XP is rather laborious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources