• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with click boxes and slide not pausing.

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I continue to struggle with trying to keep the slides paused while the user interacts with buttons or click boxes on my pages.I've tried using the click box hidden out of the way trick, but it doesn't work for me.

I would be forever grateful if someone could take a look at this slide and let me know to I can get this to work. This is something I will be doing over and over again (in various different ways) so I really need to figure this out once and for all.

Is someone willing to work with me on this? Even if it's off line, I'm happy to post the results once we get them worked out.

Here's the problem:

On the slide, the user has several options to choose from. They are to click on the options they think are correct. I have placed click boxes over each option with actions attached. However, the slide seems to march merrily on it's way with each click until finally the click boxes are no longer available to click. What can I do to stop this?

Captivate 4 file attached.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Hi there

I have downloaded the file and am looking at it in Captivate.

What seems to be happening is that when you click, the pause is released. You therefore need a way to "reset" the playhead.

Why not try creating an Advanced Action that performs the showing, hiding, and playhead reset?

It's fairly straightforward. You use a Standard Action of Show. Standard Action of Hide. Then follow at the end with a playhead reset. Normally I use an Assignment action. I assignrdcmndGotoFrameAndResume the value

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have downloaded the file and am looking at it in Captivate.

What seems to be happening is that when you click, the pause is released. You therefore need a way to "reset" the playhead.

Why not try creating an Advanced Action that performs the showing, hiding, and playhead reset?

It's fairly straightforward. You use a Standard Action of Show. Standard Action of Hide. Then follow at the end with a playhead reset. Normally I use an Assignment action. I assignrdcmndGotoFrameAndResume the value of rdiinfoCurrentFrame - 5 (to back up 5 frames).

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This is a little beyond my experience as a newbie, but I am going to give it a try and report back. I now have hope, though!

Noelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Should be pretty painless.

See if the link below helps...

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video Rick... I am sure this will be very useful to others in the future (since this is becoming a common question).

I noticed that you are used:

rdcmndGotoFrameAndResume := rdinfoCurrentFrame - 5

But I found a potential problem with this, where if you have a crazy student (i.e. me just testing the heck out of the slide) clicking this button (that uses this advanced action) multiple times, that "- 5" frames will eventually take you back to the previous slide.

I am currently uncertain if the opposite is true, but I found this works as well:

rdcmndGotoFrame := rdinfoCurrentFrame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn

Indeed your point is taken.

However, I would think it to be both unlikely and a bad test to repeatedly just click click click something as fast as I can. Particularly a button or click box that is intended to reveal other information. It would seem only logical to test using what would likely be a true to life scenario

Sure, if you hammer something fast enough and repeatedly, it's bound to break at some point, no?

Additionally, I found in my testing that the variable scenario you described doesn't seem to work and allow repeating the click. That's why I suggest moving the playhead back ever so slightly (5 frames @ 30 frames per second is what, 1/15 of a second?) it allows things to "reset" so one may repeatedly click objects. I think this is particularly true of Button objects. Up to the pause point they are Active. But if clicked and the playhead isn't moved back, it's possible they won't allow clicking again.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good day Rick,

I think I exaggerated how rapidly I clicked the buttons... anyhow, I never intended to upstage your own suggestion.

I just found that the "-5" frames didn't seem necessary... though I will fully acknowledge that it may be necessary and I just haven't noticed the problem yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!!

Thank you so much. This was the tip that I needed so desperately. I'll be doing a lot of this kind of thing in various combinations so figuring this out was invaluable. Thank you so much!

Noelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to learn that Rick beat me to helping you on this one.

Rick actually showed me this same 'trick' some time ago.

Because of the extra effort involved in creating advanced actions, you may want to consider using rollover slidelets. They do not require building advanced actions for every button.

I really, really hope that click boxes are improved in the next version of Captivate!

In the meantime, I wonder if it is possible to create advanced actions that are generic in nature. In other words, action1, action2, action3, etc... will work on any slide that has click boxes.

Once I solve my own delema with Captivate and I have a few moments to breath, I will enjoy looking into this possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources