• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 + WinXP - whnjs.htm listed in broken links - crash

Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 + WinXP.

I am working on the Help topics for a web-based application.  I inherited this project from another contractor.  The other contractor used RH6 to create about 300 topics, each topic in a dot htm file.  He also created an extensive TOC.

Each htm file is named according to a file-naming system set up by the original contractor.  The system uses upper- and lower-case letters and underscores.  For example:

help_quickstart_mainmenu_Reports_howtowriteareport.htm

help_quickstart_mainmenu_Reports_howtoeditareport.htm

etc.

I started with RH7 and recently upgraded to RH8.  At some point, the "all lower case for Unix" function was activated and all Help topics were renamed.  I was able to restore all of the topic files from version control but all of the files generated by RH were also affected and the table of contents and the appearance of the Help display was affected.  I have been working to restore the table of contents and just today noticed that the whnjs.htm file was located in the Broken Links list.  When I right-clicked on the file name in the list, RH8 instantly crashed and the interface disappeared off of my monitor. I was able to restart RH8, as usual, by clicking the icon on my toolbar and I don't see any other problems caused by the crash but I still see the whnjs file in Broken Links and the TOC is still a mess - no book or page icons, frameset is a different color, etc.

What can you tell me about the whnjs file and what should I do now?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Your post would seem to indicate you have managed to pull generated output files into your source and replace the source files with them. Ouch!

If you have a backup, definitely time to restore.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Captiv8tor.  You've confirmed my worst fears about "contaminating" our version control files.  I am up against a release deadline and I don't feel I have time to pull 300 topic files out of subversion and do a new build of Help.  Do you have any other advice?  Can I delete the whnjs and whskin_blank files from the lists in RH?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2009 Dec 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Output files in the source are not going to generate new help without a big cleanup as described on Rick's site. There's a lot more to it than just deleting those files.

I suspect pulling an old version will be quicker.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp