Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marking topics as new or updated in the TOC

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm in the process of overhauling a long-standing software manual.  It is used solely by internal customers, so I want to be able to highlight in the Table Of Contents when there's a new or updated topic.  I used to use Innovasys's Help Studio 3, which includes this feature as part of its output options.  You simply check a box called "Mark topics as new in the TOC" and set the date.  However, I have yet to find a simple way to achieve the same effect in RoboHelp 8.

Can anybody give me some pointers?

Regards

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt.

If you right click on your TOC page, select Properties and click the Advanced tab. In there is a "Mark as New" option that changes the icon of the TOC page to include a red star in the top left hand corner. You can also do this on a TOC book.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you are creating CHM output you just right-click the TOC node and choose Properties. There you have a tab labeled Advanced. Click the Advanced tab and you will see the Mark as new option.

If you are creating WebHelp or FlashHelp, you are pretty much up a creek flowing with excrement with no means of propulsion! At least as far as the TOC goes.

I did develop a method that worked quite well for me. You may read about it at the link below.

Click here to read about the method.

Another method I've used is by creating See Also keywords. NewJan, NewFeb... RevJan, RevFeb... Then assign the topics to the See Also keywords. Once you do this, create a single page that has nothing but See Also links. The nice thing about this approach is that it makes maintenance super easy. After you update or add a topic, you just assign it to the corresponding See Also keyword.

If you need a more detailed description, let me know... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys.  Since reading your posts I've noticed the "Mark as New" option is also at the bottom of the context menu for the TOC (at least it is on RH8).  I don't know how I missed that before; I guess I was expecting to see it as part of the Generate options.

In lieu of Help Studio's method of marking topics as new from a single date, I'll have a look at applying your method, Captiv8r.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2009 Dec 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have to do anything special to enable the "Mark as New" right-click option? It's greyed out in my project and I can't even find it mentioned in the "help"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Likely it only will be available if your Primary Layout is configured as Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM).

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought maybe that was the case, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

(The HTML Help option for setting it in the Advanced tab of the Properties dialog box showed up as expected, however.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically the answer is no, you can't have a single item in the TOC of a Robo HTML help

system show an icon with Updated hung on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No, the correct answer is "it depends on your output type". Carefully read through the thread to discover why.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read it.  It can only be done if your output is CHM.  Why would anyone who's using Robohelp to create a website create an output of CHM.  So the answer is no, you can't do this if you're outputing to html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

I'm not following your logic. CHM is HTML output. CHM=Compilied HtMl.

Sure, the answer is no if you are only talking about a web based output. At least using the TOC as the only means of indication, sure. But even then, you still have options as have been outlined in this thread.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp