• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSS change works on my hard drive, not on network??

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH8 and generating web help. I have several tables that require the header row text to be rotated 270 degrees. To accomplish this, I added the following filter to the CSS: filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);

When I generate web help on my hard drive, it looks great. If I publish it to the network or copy the !SSL! folder to the network, the cell heading text appears normal with no rotation. Any ideas?

Here's a clip from the CSS:

p.CellHeading {
margin-left: 0.000pt;
margin-right: 0.000pt;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0.000pt;
margin-top: 0.000pt;
margin-bottom: 0.000pt;
word-spacing: 0.250em;
color: #000000;
letter-spacing: 0.00em;
font-family: Arial;
font-style: italic;
font-size: 10pt;
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);
text-decoration: none;

By the way, I don't know just enough about CSS and HTML to get by with very basic stuff - I'm a real amateur when it comes to coding.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

RoboHelp has a habit of changing your css on generating output. Try pasting your original CSS in your output folder, it should all work then.

Just note the a filter only works in IE. Check out http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/css-text-rotation for some more info on rotating text. (You will need to get creative to feed all the browsers the correct css so they will all display the text correct).

Greet,

Willam

PS. You can replace stuf like margin-left: 0.000pt with margin-left: 0;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck. I also compared the CSS files and they match exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's rather peculiar...

Do you open the WebHelp on the network with exactly the same browser as your local browser (Internet Explorer, same version?).

I couldn't find anyting on it, but it might be a security setting. Try adding the webhelp location to the trusted sites.

The MSDN-site has a comprehensive article about css filters: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms532847%28VS.85%29.aspx you may find some more usefull information there.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willam, but that didn't seem to help. My network address starts with \\nas - would that be a problem? (Everything else looks great - just that filter. Argh!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't see why that's a problem, unless it's a security issue. I tested your style on several locations with IE8 and IE7. With me, it allways worked with IE8, but never with IE7. I suspect that this could be a but, since the filter should also work on paragraphs.

The MSDN-page on the BasicImage filter is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms532972%28VS.85%29.aspx

Can you try the examples provided on that page?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, looks like we're getting somewhere! I got it to work when I pasted one of the examples straight into the html code of the topic page (not the CSS), but I'm not sure how to apply it to the table headings. I'm attaching the code for the topic page as well as a screen shot of what it I want it to look like. Thanks for your help, Willam - you don't know how many hours of grief this has given me!

-Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are two way's of doing this:

In the heading of the document (before </head>), add a style block, like this:

<style type="text/css">

p.CellHeading {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);}

</style>

This might give you the same problems. You can also attach the style directly to the element, in this case p.CellHeading. In the code, look for for <p class="CellHeading"> and add before the >:

style="filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);" so it will look like this: <p class="CellHeading" style="filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);">

If there's a style block already, just add it behind the last ;, like: <p class="CellHeading" style="color: #bf0000; filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);">High
         background events</p>

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck. For some reason the table is causing problems. Do you see anything unusual about it in the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need a <div> tag somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't see anything right away. It has a lot of inline styling, but that shouldn't be a problem. It's strange that it will work on one location, but not on another...

It's unlikely that you'll need a <div> tag, as that's only a block element. Commonly used to position content on a page, moreover, according to the MSDN-site, it also works on paragraphs.

I have some more time tomorrow and I'll look into it to see if I can find anyting.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not much I can find, just my own test findings.

The filter works perfectly fine in IE8 for me, regardless of the filter being in css or inline. It however doesn't work on IE7.

The filter works on images in IE6 - IE8.

As to why it works locally and not on a network drive, I don't have the faintest idea.

Sorry, but I can't help any further.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks Willam. I appreciate all your help.

-Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp