• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Powerpoint is losing formatting of bulleted text

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing a Powerpoint 2007 file into Captivate 4 and the slides that are in an outline format with bulleted text are losing their format.  Specifically, the bulleted text is all the way to the left rather than indented.  It is even changing the left margin of indented text without bullets.  Makes this "feature" worthless.  It is easy to recreate by just creating an outline with indented bulleted text and create a new Project in Captivate using Powerpoint slides.  The problem is the same on multiple computers.

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rather strange, I have been creating many CP4's from Powerpoint 2007 presentations without any of those issues you described. Mostly I will create them right from the presentation (Create Project, from MS Powerpoint, in the Startup Screen of Captivate). Animations in bulleted lists will be transformed to a FMR, and advancing by mouse clicks (if created that way in PPT) is working fine. The only lost aspect in CP are the hyperlinks, which have to be recreated.

How did you transform the PPT to Captivate? Which settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating them the same way you do.  I don't have any animations but some of the lines in my outline are all the way to the left rather than being indented.  I even created just a clean outline with different levels and it did the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since most of my presentations have animations in bulleted lists, I just tried to recreate your situation, without animations but could not reproduce the problem: indents are staying in CP4 exactly as in PPT. Which objects do you see on the timeline? Did you import with 'Linked' activated? I'm really puzzled by your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the attached file and compare the Powerpoint with what Captivate does.  When I import it, all lines are flush left.  It is losing all indentions and tabs.

You will need to change the file extension to .pptx

Thanks for helping with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but for the moment I'm waiting for your file to be approved (it is Queued for the moment). I certainly will have a look at the PPT, eventually also at the resulting CP4. You will get an answer as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- I'm having the same problem.  I'm using Captivate 4 and PPT 2007.  I have text that is indented without bullets but when it goes into Captivate there are bullets and the text is moved all the way to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer I got from Adobe was that when importing a PowerPoint 2007 file, they convert it to PowerPoint 2003 first.  The formatting is being changed in this step.  Why they do this, who knows.  I think they are passing the blame to Microsoft and have no intention of fixing their problem, nor correcting their marketing statements.  This type of support is all too frequent now from Adobe.  I am using a competitor's product now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks-

I converted the data to a table in PPT. That seemed to work. I hope they take a second look because that's a big issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here too! I did not notice any response.  Perhaps I should post a new query??

Why does Captivate insert bullets when the Powerpoint file does not have them?

Message was edited by: Rich McN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that would be good...thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having this problem.

BUT I found a solution.  When editing the slides in Office 2007, simply go to the line that needs to be properly aligned and use the Tab key to indent it once.  In powerpoint it will look off, but when imported into Captivate 4 it appears aligned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this issue as well. It happened in CP3 and I was disappointed to hear it still happens in CP4.

Here's what I was able to figure out w/ PPT 2007. It allows you to have more than one setting on a slide for indentations. CP doesn't like this and goes to the first one used. My suggestion would be to create a new master PPT w/ the indentation settings exactly like you want and then do not adjust. Only use one indentation format on a slide. Problem here is that when copying text from one PPT to another, it usually takes all settings with and so makes things go "wonky."

It's not an across the board fix, but I did find that it would help when I wanted bullets to be just right. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources