• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Third-party content

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help!! I can't play games on my computer because the checkbox "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer" is unavailable. I have my browser updated and my flash player updated but nothing works. Do I need to change something on my Internet settings??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 15, 2008 Jan 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're here:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

You then click the second folder (Global Storage Settings)

And then what DO you see? Take a screen shot if you can and post it somewhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2008 Jan 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i just see the Global Storage Settings and it's fine but when i try to click the checkbox "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer" the checkmark will not show up and i have the latest version of everything downloaded...sorry for no picture...
Thanks in advance,
jacobsparks05

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this third-party disabled checkbox is a very old bug. I got it today when I went to www.thedailyshow.com, which I watch all the time. It asked me to check the Allow Third Party...option, so I went to the adobe manager page, but it does not allo me to change anything. I uninstalled firefox 3.5 and Flash, reinstalled everything with Flash 10, but no luck. The third party content option is not even on the settings popup menu when right-clicking, and this page http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html doesn't help, the box is unclickable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2008 Jan 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so you can -see- it.. But you cannot check it. Right?

If you right-click (or control-click on the Mac) in the area around the checkbox, does it show you a popup with "About Flash Player 9" in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2008 Jan 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I don't know where to go with this at this point without -seeing- it.

Can you open a webcase via http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer and then reply back with the case number? I'll ask one of our support guys to get in touch to see if they can set up a screen sharing session or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know how to do that, I'm very sorry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2009 Sep 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm have the same issue with our laptop. Is there any solution for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2009 Sep 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took my comp to Frys and had them fix it, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvevermind I've got it...the case number is #173097202

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. It shows the option to have it, but I cant check it. Help??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a resolution to this?  Do these users have a restrictive mms.cfg file on their machines?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide/flash_player_admin_guide.p...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know, lol, Im having the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having this problem. Following from a previous post, I clicked the 'About Adobe Flash Player 10' and I couldn't open it because of the pop-up blocker.
I disabled that and allowed pop-ups and can now click the boxes.
My problems are all solved.. maybe it will solve yours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, didnt fix mine though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on my Mac running OSX Snow Leopard. After many days searching the web for an solution I finally found it over here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21439369-flash-10-wont-save-settings

I'll post it here word by word for anyone with the same issue:

"This is a fix for quite a few mac flash 10 problems I noticed people talking about on the internet.

I know this is getting old but make sure you fix permissions first. Then in your home folder delete the Flash Player folder that is inside both Library/Caches/Adobe and Library/Preferences/Macromedia.

For some reason Flash Player is unable to properly write data to those folders even after an uninstall and reinstall. This is probably due to corruption of the folders. I think Adobe should try to find out what causes the corruption after an upgrade."

Hope this helps anyone! It solved the problem for me.

regards,

Sergio Azenha

http://www.sergioazenha.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received one reply with a possible solution, but did not work for me.

Flash stopped working because I made a change in the Registry to fix the

problem with Microsoft Live Messenger (it would not save my login info). I

followed some instructions to change a setting in the Registry. Messenger

started working fine, but the Flash player stopped working. In the end I had

to put the registry value back to where it was. I will tell you both

solutions. The first one is the Registry hack.

Registry key is:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-926492609-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User

Shell Folders]

The value that works with Flash in my system is

AppData = %AppData%

The value that made Messenger work and broke Flash is

AppData = %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

Below is the link in the message I got from somebody else, but it's a fix

for Mac OS. It may work if you find the Flash cache folders in your system.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21439369-flash-10-wont-save-settings

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XP ONLY FIX

Hey guys. i have been having the same problem for a while on my main computer, and i got really fed up with it aswell.

With chelince59's reply i figured i would give it a try, considering that was the same issue i had. having to choose between either msn forgetting my profile, or flash saving 3rd party content.

At some point i got rather annoyed, and felt like just playing around with it for a bit, and wouldn't you know it, i struck gold (in my case) the first time.

==Quote==

Registry key is:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-926492609-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User

Shell Folders]

The value that works with Flash in my system is

AppData = %AppData%

The value that made Messenger work and broke Flash is

AppData = %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

==unQuote==

Now the value that works with both is:

AppData = %USERPROFILE%\AppData

which is...basically a mixture of the two... it was one of those "here goes nothing" moments. but it worked!

NOW BE WARE

... when you do this. firefox will forget everything you've set it up with. the most important part of that being the bookmarks in my case. So i dug a little deeper. and found out that is something you have to fix on THE SAME DAY, considering you have to locate a backup firefox makes of your favorites. and those get overwritten.

Here's how

to get your bookmarks back. while using firefox, go to the tab Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Recover -> Choose file...

Note, it may be a little different depending on your computer, but just be sure not to choose 'import HTML' cause i couldnt find my stuff that way.

when using choose file. it will look for JSON files... and you can 'likely' find yours here: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xmsp7sbz.default\bookmarkbackups

xmsp7sbz.default This folder may be named differently on other computers, so dont panic, there will likely be only one folder and thats yours.

While there. you pick the backup with the most recent date, and presto. you atleast have your bookmarks back.

to recover anything else, i'm affraid i cant help you. im glad enough i have my bookmarks, and i can get my addons again some other time or way.

Edit: P.S. if this works for anyone else, please leave a reply. i would appreciate it to know if the time i spent in sharing this was worth it ^^;;

Message was edited by: Peter Nijenhuis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXCELLENT!!

At long last, I can have my Flash and Messenger signon too...good work, thanks for sharing it!! Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Nijenhuis wrote:

XP ONLY FIX

Now the value that works with both is:

AppData = %USERPROFILE%\AppData

Thank you for the feedback.  But unfortunately this is not a real fix; it will certainly break other things.

See this Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549/

The correct setting of the %APPDATA% environment variable on Windows XP (and Server 2003) is

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data

For Vista (and Server 2008) & Windows 7 it is

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

If these settings are changed at any time (e.g. by the installation of some software), then other softwares may not be able to store their own settings, or may be unable to retrieve their original settings.

I suggest that you always use the correct settings for the respective Windows versions, and delete any subfolders that do not work correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true that other apps will start asking for passwords, settings, etc...but I only had to do that once after rebooting, and now everything seems ok, so I took the hassle as a minor nuisance.  It's still a good fix, although you better know your passwords!

Hope everyone gets to resolve this bugging issue finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Granted, none of the registry entries are likely to work with everything anymore from the moment you have the flash issue. but in my case, and apparently in chelince59's case there seem to be no programs that we use yet that have any further issues with the key i discovered by luck. It doesnt always have to be official microsoft programming to work [or mac would never have existed]

the point is. i think most normal users will not encounter any further issues with that fix. and if they do. i hope they post it here aswell. because we all know %USERPROFILE%\Application Data doesnt work right. official registry key or not, flash will just not work right with it.

and no deletion of any sub folders or flash folders seem to solve anything.

Sofar its fixed, and i will only look into that registry key again when i encounter another problem related to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, the tradeback is worth the hassle, but be advised, you'll lose your Firefox add-ons, so they will have to be reinstalled.  I don't know how it will affect Internet Explorer, since I am a proud recovering ex user of such software .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is: some people have many softwares installed - Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, Photoshop, multimedia, you name it.  All these applications store their vital data in their own AppData folder, pointed to by %APPDATA%.

Just because one software (Microsoft Live Messenger, from what I understand in the earlier posts) does not play by the rules, and changes its AppData location, do you really want to lose all the information from the other applications?

If you really want to correct your settings, then you should correct the one that ignores the standards, and move their data (from %USERPROFILE%\AppData to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data) and use the standard registry keys. (Yes, there are multiple locations where %APPDATA% is defined.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines