Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set Hand Tool as default?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to set the default tool in Adobe Reader to be the Hand tool instead of the Select tool. How can I do this? Every time I open a new document I need to reselect the hand tool, which is extremely tedious. 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Hi All

This issue is fixed with the new release 22.2.20212 now available. Please update the application from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

For more information about the new release please go through the help page https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Hi mschwarze,

Sorry for the inconvience caused. We are showing Select Tool as default,  To change it to hand tool we can easily do it through just by selecting Hand tool and to get Hand tool selected always you can select Touch Mode Always under Preferences --> General.

Please let me know if this is not the issue to fix it asap.

Thanks & Regards

Gaurav

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to know this answer? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To set Adobe Reader X to open with the hand tool active what I did was:

Open Adobe Reader X

Right Click on the toolbar

Mouse Down to "Select and Zoom"

Click on the Hand Tool

The Hand Tool appears on the Tool Bar

Click on the Hand Tool

Close Adobe Reader X

The next time you open the Reader the Hand Tool is selected.

The Reader seems to open with whatever tool that was selected when it was last closed.

It's a pitty that the Installer does not check what tool the previous version used beore it replaces it

Hope this helps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2013 Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I already have the Hand Tool button in my toolbar. I have to click on it every time I open Reader X, because it never defaults to the Hand Tool. Any other thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2013 Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I found.... Go to:
Edit/Preferences/Accessibility

In the section marked "Other Accessibility Options", de-select the check box labeled "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"

This fixed it for me.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are such a genius.

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mschwarze,

Sorry for the inconvience caused. We are showing Select Tool as default,  To change it to hand tool we can easily do it through just by selecting Hand tool and to get Hand tool selected always you can select Touch Mode Always under Preferences --> General.

Please let me know if this is not the issue to fix it asap.

Thanks & Regards

Gaurav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all these suggestions to no avail.  I did try something else that worked.  Go to Edit/Preferences/General and check "Make hand tool select text & images".  This defaults to the Hand tool which changes to the Select tool temporarily when you mouse over text or images.  As long as the cursor isn't over text, you're using the hand tool and can use arrow keys to change pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better late than never. I found this option to work:

Look under Preferences – Accessibility and uncheck “Always display the keyboard selection cursor”. Then select the Hand Tool. Then close the program. So far the pan (hand) tool remains the default.

Cheers

(Running Adobe Acrobat X on Win 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you! Driving me crazy... now fixed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me crazy!  I finally discovered that when in "Preferences" I was not seeing the entire window.  I had to awkwardly move the window and scroll to the bottom to get to the "OK" button after making changes.  In the end, Preference/General then set "Touch Mode" to Always, then get to the bottom of the window and select OK.  Then the hand tool is default when opening documents....Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is THE solution to the problem.  Thank you very much for discovering that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thank you so much.

Steve Sander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Out of all of the suggestions here, this is the only one that has worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this works for me too! Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

감사합니다!! 이 방법으로 해결 됐습니다^^

Thank you VERYMUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Out of all of the suggestions here, this is the only one that has worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is it! Thanks you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It finally works! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thnak you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with Adobe Acrobat Pro.

This worked with me:

1. Close all apps and documents

2. Open a PDF using Adobe Acrobat ... in principle, the Select tool is active by default right?

3. Just right click somewhere in the middle of the page and select the Hand tool (do not use the toolbars)

4. Close Adobe Acrobat

Now try to open a PDF using Adobe Acrobat again and in principle the Hand tool should be active by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to necro this unfortunately. A very recent update to Reader has nullified these methods both on my work and personal computers. Anyone else have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. All of the above solutions, as well as on many other solutions on other forum threads, have been cancelled as of the latest update. There needs to be an easily accessed button to make the Hand Tool default in the future. This appears to be a reoccuring problem that Adobe won't make go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines