• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse Engineering Possible?

New Here ,
May 15, 2008 May 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to reverse engineer a complete robohelp project back into robohelp to make updates?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murfrider,

Two questions: What output are you working with? and What version of RH?

If it's CHM, there's a great free tool called "KeyTools" at http://www.keyworks.net/ that I've used. Just point to the chm you want to decomile into HTML files, then tell it where you want to save the files. Easy and fast.

If it's WebHelp, well, I wouldn't recommend trying to "reverse engineer" it. Someone over here inadvertently imported an HTML file from a WebHelp output and they screwed up the project (we're still using RH X5). In this case, if you have no other choice, I would somehow try to clean up the HTML files (maybe use Dreamweaver) before you import them into a new RH project. I haven't gotten my hands on the production version of RH 7 yet - maybe they have better clean up tools. You could also view the files in IE/Firefox then copy the content into new RH topics, but that would be tedious also.

Either way you look at it, it won't be a "push a button and go" kind of thing, though that would be great, wouldn't it?

Maybe Peter or Rick will chime in to give better advice. If you have a choice of outputs to work from, I'd go for a CHM.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck on the CHM, it's all html. The project was done in RH5, I have RH6, not sure if that helps or hurts. Like you said it looks like I'd have to bring in the html one at a time, way too tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Murfrider

You are probably going to be interested in the following links:
Link number one
Link number two

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Rick, I forwarded the link to the guy who really has to fix this problem, heehee. I may play with it a bit if I get a chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp