• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete temporary Photoshop files?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2009 Nov 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a friend's Mac and in Photoshop, every so often it keeps telling me that the scratch disk is almost full and can't perform actions til I get rid of things on the computer. I delete misc files but after a while it keeps happening - i'd rather just delete the Photoshop temp files instead of my friend's files. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere - where is this folder located? or what should i enter in a search?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 21, 2009 Nov 21, 2009

You don't need to do this manually.

You can purge the scratch disk:

Edit-Purge-All

You will lose your history if you do this (all undos).

Basically you are running out of room on the system drive - not a good situation. I would talk to your friend about perhaps archiving some files and then deleting them. Or, buy a firewire drive and use that as a scratch disk.

Don't delete your friend's files if you want to remain friends.

pbc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2009 Nov 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to do this manually.

You can purge the scratch disk:

Edit-Purge-All

You will lose your history if you do this (all undos).

Basically you are running out of room on the system drive - not a good situation. I would talk to your friend about perhaps archiving some files and then deleting them. Or, buy a firewire drive and use that as a scratch disk.

Don't delete your friend's files if you want to remain friends.

pbc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2009 Nov 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was nice and easy - seems to be doing the trick. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purging the files has worked for a while up til now, but it seems to be only a very temporary fix. After purging I can work in Photoshop for a little while, then I soon get another warning about the scratch disk being full despite that I've also moved/deleted tons of files from the hard drive and emptied the trash to clear up space. and I often get the warning popping up as I'm opening a file so there's nothing yet to purge..

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to clear up scratch disk space?? I assumed that deleting files would clear up the most space but sometimes it doesn't even help and i still get the warnings..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reducing the number of history states can help, but not always (depends on your work style).

If you keep running out of disk space, the only real option is to get more disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, offset still works only in pixels, not in physical units.

(and someone broke the drag preview, darnit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines