• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating a pdf file in RH8

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try as I might, and having read many, many, many posts, etc., etc., I am still unable to generate a pdf from my HTML RH8 file (and yes, I ask it to convert to Word, then pdf).  The following is the output message that I receive:

Starting to build Printed Documentation...
Printed Documentation processor 8.0.1.204

Building Z:\BusinessCenter\Business_Center_Online_Help.doc ...

Preparing to create Printed Documentation...
Clearing output folder...
Preparing files for Print Document...
Copying files...
Updating files...
Finished preparing in 3 seconds.
Preparing environment...
Printed Document Generator Environment: Word 12.0.6504,  OS 5.1.2600, RAM 2007 M Bytes
Building Printed Documentation 'Business Center Online Help'...
Building Single Document 'Business_Center_Online_Help.doc'...
Building 'Title Page'...
Building 'Table of Contents'...
Preparing to build chapters...
Building 'Notice of Proprietary Information'...
Processing 'Business Center User Guide-V 1'...
Warning: style (p.StyleStyleStylenotesCenteredLeft18ptCenteredLeft) is not defined and will be mapped to 'Normal'.
Completed building chapters...
Updating list paragraphs...
Updating images...
Updating page numbers...
Updating page headers...
Updating Table of Contents...
Saving 'Business_Center_Online_Help.doc'...
Generating 'Business_Center_Online_Help.pdf'...
Failed the generate PDF file 'Z:\BusinessCenter\Business_Center_Online_Help.pdf'...
Failed to save 'Business_Center_Online_Help.doc'...
Cleaning up temporary files...

Internal error encountered,  Failed to generate Printed Documentation.

Just to answer some questions before they're asked:

1. HTML doc was originally created in RH5;
  2. Upgraded to RH8 and imported file;
  3. Tried the suggested ".dll" workaround;
  4. Trying to save pdf output locally, not on a network;
  5. Thought maybe it was hanging on the one style warning -- but doesn't seem to be the case;
  6. Have read through and followed several other helpful tips in terms of getting the pdf to generate.

No luck, and getting frustrated.  Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you have all the RH8 updates installed. You can check via the Help > Updates menu item. If you have done that and you still have problems, try creating a new Printed Documentation single source layout folder. Note I said "new" not "duplicate". I also just wanted to check that the actual RoboHelp project isn't sat on a network drive like your Z: drive. If it is, move it to a local drive.

Try these and let us know how you get on.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum has picked up on whether or not the project is on your local drive. It is also necessary to generate to a local drive.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter -- thanks for your reply. I had actually picked up in some of your postings from earlier this year to be sure to generate to a local drive.  Still having the same problem; but I'm stubborn and will keep on until I find the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Warning: style (p.StyleStyleStylenotesCenteredLeft18ptCenteredLeft) is not defined and will be mapped to 'Normal'." You might want to look into that one; there's no telling how long the effects of this might linger, beyond the instance that prompted that error message.

You might also try a completely new layout (not a duplicate of the current layout, but an entirely new layout), generating to a completely new location. Sometimes layouts get corrupted and can't be repaired, whereas a new layout has proven to be quite beneficial in many cases here in the forum.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum -- thanks for your reply.  I had recently checked Updates (both RoboHelp and Adobe) to make certain that I had all the latest (I do).  I created a new Printed Documentation folder, and I made sure that I was saving not to a network drive, but to my computer's C:\ drive.  Still getting the same response.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe not ideal, but I had a similar problem and the DLL fixes didn't work nor did publishing locally etc etc....

My solution was to install a newer version of acrobat, which fixed it.

you could even try re-installing your existing version.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/500866?tstart=0

though my thread related to generating with a SWF, this was NOT the cause of the error. I never figured it out, but an acrobat update worked.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp