Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typing will not show when published in Word

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am new to Captivate, so I hope that this is an easy issue to fix!

I recently made a recording, edited the slides a good bit, and published the project in Word.  Not all of the text that I typed while recording shows in the published product.  SOME of the text entries show, but others do not.  All of the text entries show when I publish into other mediums such as Flash, but not all of the entries will show in Word.  What could be causing this?

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What is the purpose of the Word export?

Have you examined where you see typing and where you don't? For example, do you note that you see the text for Slide x but not for Slide y? If so, what's different with Slide y?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Thanks for responding.

I will first explain the reasons for the Word export, as there may be easier methods.

We are updating our Operations Manual for our business unit at work.  Part of the manual is an administrator's guide for the back-office maintenance of our public facing web site.  In the past, I took screen shots of the site using Snagit or some other tool, added text instructions/highlights/etc as needed, and pasted the shots as a .jpeg in the Operations Manual Word document.  The problem with this approach is that the .jpegs are not editable, and when my boss or someone else requests a change to the instructions, I have to redo numerous screen shots from scratch.  This is one of the reasons that we purchased Captivate: so that I can save layered shots of the screens with editable captions, highlights, etc.

The best way that I have found thus far to transfer the various slides from the project into the Operations Manual document is to publish the project in Word, and then copy and paste the picture files into the manual.  Is there a better approach?

I have noticed that the text appears for specific slides but not for others, and I can't see any difference between Slide X where the text does not appear when published in Word and Slide Y where the text does appear correctly.  It may be a setting in Captivate. It may be an issue with our web site itself. It may be a classic case of PEBKAC

I'm befuddled, as it makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just a suggestion for a (IMHO better) alternative and I think Rick wouldn't mind my popping in.

If perhaps you do have Adobe Acrobat 9, it is possible to insert CP-movies in a PDF-document, that can be watched by users who only need to have the free copy of Adobe Reader 9. I know that many people are not aware of this possiblity. It works great, I'm using it for couses for my students when I do not have enough time to develop everything web-based.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Yeah, this is such a great feature. Especially if for example, your company does not have the Flash player installed on your network. I experienced this just after CP 4 was released with a certain client who didn't and wouldn't install the Flash player on their Intranet; being able to export to PDF really saved my bacon. In particular I really like the ability to take all the Captivate PDF content and combine it into an Acrobat Portfolio. Another great reason why Adobe are rocking my eLearning world

Another thing that many Captivate 4.0 users don't realize is that you can also export your Captivate Aggregator projects to PDF. Simply awesome! 🙂

Best - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

Just planning to try the Portfolio workflow for combining things in one place, thanks for your remark about Aggregator files.

Perhaps you know a workaround for one minor problem when inserting CP-generated SWF's (simulations) in Acrobat-documents: right click/double click will not function because it is triggered by the accompanying HTML/JS files which are not there in Acrobat? For the moment I try to limit the insertion in Acrobat to SWF's that do not use righ click/double click.

Same problem with SWF's inserted in Presentere files.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I was not aware of this feature. That is something that we will definitely consider using in the future! For right now, though, I have to use the Word document due to project coordination and sharing issues. Plus we need the ability to print a hard copy of all materials for compliance purposes.

For now I am stuck trying to figure out either why the text won't show or if there is a better way of transferring the screens/slides into a larger Word document. Fun times! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

If the only real need is to have the text available in the resulting Word document, I'm wondering how well you might make the following workflow work.

Insert a Text Caption that contains the same text. Then turn off visibility in the Caption properties. My thought here is that during playback the caption wouldn't be seen. But during the process of creating the Word document, the text would be included.

Hopefully something here was marginally helpful... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

Thanks!  That is an effective workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources