Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Windows HTML Help shown under Win7?!

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I work with RoboHelp 8 and Win7. I´ve tried to generate html help, the CHM is shown but there´s no window popping up and showing the result. How can that be? Is there a serious compatibility problem with windows7 and robo8?

thx so far

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have at least the 801 patch. You should also apply the 802 patch for other reasons.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

I´ve done the updating, but still there was the problem in generating the chm. Finally, we made our way: It was neither my fault nor was it coming from missing updates - the problem resulted from "too long file paths", as to say. Means, RoboHelp did not manage to handle his own file path under windows7! And we solved it in the absolute strange and difficult and annoying way of saving the files on C: and start all over again. So, please, try to update Robohelp8 for windows7 and don´t let me puzzle that hard again! I have other stufff to do!

However, as I have to work with it, I would appreciate some renewal coming closer to those great products of Adobe as e.g Photoshop or InDesign....regarding to the GUI and the usability, I mean. Because, there were so many other problems, I don´t even want to start talking about...

So far,

sincerely yours

J.Hennicke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You were compiling a CHM file, no?

Sorry, but my guess is that there is little RoboHelp or Adobe could do to influence that behavior, because what it does is to hand things off to the Microsoft HTML Help Compiler.

As an aside, it's been known for a while that long path names may cause issues. Best practice is to create a folder near the root. I frequently recommend one named Projects. As in C:\Projects. Then for each project you create, it becomes a sub folder inside that.

In addition to what I listed above, when you name things (Projects, Files, Folders) you should avoid any special characters. Stick to the basics. a-z, A-Z and 0-9.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rick says, the path length problem is something Adobe cannot change. On the other issues, you should submit bug reports and feature requests.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Every one does get read.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you please assist - i'm using robohelp7 under win XP and need to upgrade to Win 7, will the robohelp 7 work for me?

I tried it on a virtual PC that IT had set up for me and it seems to work ok but I'm not sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See this thread.

BTW please do not post the same query twice in forums and always start a new query rather than appending a new query to an existing one. It helps future users when they use the search facility. If in any doubt, read the forums guidelines which can be found at the top of the discussion list.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp