Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a close box on top corner of pop-up windows

Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Usability Department recommended that we add "close window" icons to the top right corner of our pop-up windows.

Is this even remotely possible?  Wondered if anyone else has tried this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I suppose you could fudge it by using an image with an X on it and configuring the CSS used for popups to insert the image at the top and be right justified.

The only issue I could see with that approach would be if a popup were also a basic topic.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth, I've not seen anyone else post this idea so your Usability Dept seems to be in a minority. That may help you if you have to go into battle with them.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Just performed a small test to verify. Image below shows the result.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I considered that, but how do you add a clickbox over the image so that it closes the window?  I still need to click on the main topic to close, don't I?  I don't know enough about javascript in RoboHelp to finesse this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No need for a clickable area. The image in the CSS just serves as a visual cue.

Note that I'm making an assumption that you are using standard RoboHelp HTML popups here. And if that's the case, a click anywhere on the popup will typically dismiss it. No need for a link or anything. You are just coaxing the user to click the X, which, in reality a click anywhere will close the popup.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...I'm producing webhelp, with Robohelp HTML 8.0.2.

The pop-ups are image topics (htm topics with an image).

Clicking on the image doesn't close the window.   If I click the whitespace around the image, it will close the window, but if I click on the image, I am granted the option to save, print, email, or open in my pictures folder (icons inside red highlight).

image click save pop-up.png

Seemed so easy at first glance, didn't it!  Luckily it isn't critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Yep, images are immune from the click to dismiss. Not sure why that is, but that's certainly the way it's always been!

However, if you used the CSS trick I mentioned, the way the image in the upper right corner is presented is immune from said behavior. (I was pleasantly surprised to discover this)

The image should be placed in that area surrounding your main image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're feeling adventuresome (and if you continue to be badgered), you might investigate Walter Zorn's fantastic free tooltip utility. I use it as descibed on his site, as a mouseover event. I have some of them sporting a title bar with a close button, and there are innumerable other formatting options. I have other tooltips representing pulldown menus, with each element a link to a topic. It's a wonderful tool!

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the CSS style name for pop-up boxes? I don't see anything relevant in the list of styles in my default.css.   Are you talking about assigning a Master Page to the topics that will appear as popups?

In other words, where do you edit the style settings for popups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is the styles in a popup that you would control from a CSS.

When you create a topic that is to be used as a popup, you are in fact just creating another topic. There is nothing about that topic that makes it a popup, you can use it as a normal topic or a popup topic. "Popup topic" is just a term we apply when the link to that topic defines it as a popup.

The "popup" topic can use the same CSS as all others or a different one but nothing in the CSS makes the topic a popup.

In the same way you link topics to CSS files, you can link different Master Pages to different topics. What you can do is create two master pages, one with breadcrumbs and one without. Of course that presents a dilemma if you will be using the topic normally and as a popup.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp