Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when export: Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working in Captivate 4 and trying to export the captons to a Word document. I can export successfully, but when I get prompted if I want to open the document in Word and choose Yes, the document tries to open and I get an error message - Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc. The document then opens in Word, but when I try to import the captions back in, Captivate won't allow it. The error says An error was encountered while publishing to Word.

I have tried Word 2007 and Word 2003. I even switched machines - so it worked for a few files on another machine, but now that machine is giving me the same error.

Would anyone be able to help - any ideas? I need to provide a word document to some translators and then want to be able to easily import that translated text.

Thank you very much!

Michele

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Strange, but had just the same issue this morning with one of my Captivate files. Checking the path where CP wanted to put the Word-document, it was a very weird path. Several months ago I had once copied the CP-file to a content collection on our LMS, and apparently this had got frozen in the memory of CP (??) and it wanted to publish the document over there. I just changed the path to my PC, and it worked all right.

It is worthwhile to check the path, one never knows that your CP has the same memory glitch???

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply. When I click File/Export a dialog box appears in which I have tried to select a few different locations (my desktop, the C: drive).

Unfortunately that isn't doing the trick. Is that what you meant by path?

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Michele, that is what I meant. Sorry to hear that this solution did not work for you.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the fix for this problem:

You may receive the following error:

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

This error is cause because of f the security update for Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 on December 8, 2009.

You may experience mail merge issues write files are parsed but no message is shown.

To fix this, a registry change has to be done. Although you might have tried steps from KB973904 which states

To resolve this issue, an affected user can unregister the mswrd632 converter by editing the registry as follows:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text Converters\Import\MSWord6.wpc
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
Click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.

This change will effectively unregister the converter and disable it for third-party applications and for Microsoft Office. Microsoft Office will use its own text converters to open these kinds of files.

You can also fix this issue with applying the registry fix, but less secure.

It worked like a charm for me. I can now export and import captions with Word with no errors.

Vernon . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having this problem as well. so thank you so much for a solution! Editing the registry worked, BUT this is really still a problem because it only fixed the problem on my own computer. Other people I'm working with who try to access these files get the same error message. And, honestly, most of them are not tech savvy enough to mess with editing their registry. Is there some way that Captivate can export to Word differently? Or can we get Microsoft to issue a new security update that fixes this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources