Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 HTML crashes when trying to re-import/hyperlink files

Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 8 html crashes/freezes when trying to re-import files that have "mysteriously or magically" disappeared.  So far we have tried many "tricks" that have been provided by this community to others.

Aside from RH8 crashing when trying to import, I am also having problems when trying to insert a hyperlink.

So far we have:

1. renamed cpd and loading with xpj,
  2. renamed cpd and xpj and loading from hhp,
  3. uninstalled and reinstalled up to lastest patch 8.02,
  4. set the virtual memory to run as system managed
  5. deleted temp files
  6. defragged computer

What on earth can I possibly do next?!  I am at a standstill with my projects and would appreciate a prompt response.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the announcement in the RoboHelp HTML forum. Have you applied the 8.0.2 patch?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...I noted that under bullet 3:  "uninstalled and reinstalled up to latest patch 8.02"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you imported each file individually to see which one is causing the error? Perhaps there is something in the HTML of that topic which is causing the crash, it has happened in the past.

would also be helpful if you could perhaps zip those files that are causing the crash on import and post them up here for others to test......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry maybe you misunderstood the title of my post.  Let me clarify it --  Robohelp is crashing after I select import or when I select Insert >> Hyperlink/Popup >>  Link to: (as soon as I select File).  Robohelp does not get me to the point where I can even select a file. So, how can I try importing each file if my import/hyperlink is not working?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sorry, I missed that you had applied 802.

The first thing I would try is to create a new project to see if the same happens when you try to import the same file into that.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project I'm currently working on is having the difficulties..I have a separate existing project that I'm experiencing the same thing with.  I'll try creating a whole new project and see what happens and I'll get back to you on the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I created a Test project and tried to hyperlink - it froze up (as I've been experiencing with my two pre-existing projects).

I also tried to import a document and it froze up once again.

It will not allow me to "x" out of the program.  I have to go to task manager to end the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your projects on your local drive?

Is any source control involved?

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are on my local drive and SVN is used for the source control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What is the actual path to the files? Perhaps try creating a folder very near the root of the C drive and move the project there. See if that helps.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and if not, do any of the folders or files have apostrophes in them? Just a long shot based on an entirely different problem where that was the solution.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path I have my project saved within is:  C:\Documents and Settings\UserProfileName\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\

As far as apostrophe's go - no there's none in the title of my topics and/or folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd go with c:\projectname to be really safe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is located in the default location from Robohelp..isn't that safe enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Consider that your project name is MyWonderfulProject.

Your path would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserProfileName\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\MyWonderfulProject

Compare that to what was suggested:

c:\projectname, which would be c:\MyWonderfulProject or maybe c:\Projects\MyWonderfulProject

Closer comparison:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserProfileName\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\MyWonderfulProject

C:\Projects\MyWonderfulProject

We've seen longer paths have issues. Particularly when combined with organizing into folders and long topic names.

For example, something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserProfileName\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\MyWonderfulProject\MyFolder\MyOtherReallyCoolFolder\MyOtherReallyCoolSubfolder\MyReallySuperCoolTopic.htm

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I copied my project folder into C:/"project name" and it still freezes up when I try to import and/or hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what else to suggest. Normally when something like this occurs in every project, it is pretty certain that the installation is the issue but you have already uninstalled and reinstalled, or have you?

When you uninstall 802 it does not uninstall RH, just that patch. If you go back the Add/Remove Programs, you will find 801 showing. Uninstall that and you will then see RH8. Three uninstalls needed.

Also try it using http://www.revouninstaller.com.

The other thing to try is another PC to prove it all works there.

I am assuming this functionality did work and then went wrong.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system didn’t even see RH8 as being installed.  I re-installed it over top of the files that were there already, I didn’t un-install.  After that I was able to run the update to 802.

What do you suggest that I do now?  Should I be uninstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said at the beginning that you had uninstalled RH8. How could you uninstall it if the system did not see it? I'm confused now but it is all pointing to a bad install so I would uninstall as I described and start again.

Let us know if that fixes it this time.

After each uninstall, either press F5 in Add Remove or close and reopen it.

Your call but I would be using RevoUninstaller to clear up all remnants.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I checked with our IT department and he stated that he did not uninstall the program as it was not recognizing the RH8 program.  I had thought he uninstalled it.  We'll try your suggestion and I'll be posting back with the outcome.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so the IT guy did what you suggested.  He did this twice because he was not familiar with RevoUninstaller, he missed the "scanned" step., so we "redid" per your instructions and it is still NOT working.

Also, both projects take extremely long to open...maybe it's do to their size (300 MB and 720 MB)?

Lastly, why is Adobe using a 3rd party uninstaller?  Why not just have one programmed within Robohelp?

I am very disappointed with the results - we uninstalled and reinstalled all 3 programs (RH8, RH8.1 and RH8.2) and still no closer to a resolution.

I never had these problems with RH7 and wished I never upgraded to 8 - it's been more of a hassle and "downgrade" than anything (sorry, just need to vent).

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is not using a third party uninstaller. Where do you get that idea? This is a user to user forum and I am not an Adobe employee, I am another user like you. Experience has shown those of us who support the forum that RevoUninstaller can remove remnants that a bad install or uninstall may leave behind. Given the problems you are having, it was a possibility that some such registry entry had got damaged.

300mb is pretty large. I have 12,000 topics and I split it into separate projects that are merged to give the user the illusion they are looking at one output. I have seen larger projects but guess why I get to see them, because people are having problems. However, the projects are usable to a degree and they are not giving the level of trouble you are experiencing. Also let's not overlook you had this trouble with a brand new project.

It would be easy to point a finger at source control until you take into account that new project would not have been in source control.

So it seems reasonable, if not scientific, to rule out your project. That makes us look to the installation. That is on your desktop, has just been reinstalled and patched. You should try a new project with the new installation but I somehow don't think it will make a difference. Was the test a simple new project and importing something that was not involved with the problem you are having, a new Word document for example?

With RH on your C drive, Word on your C drive and your profile on your C drive, a project on your C drive should work just fine. So given all those statements are correct, the next thing to look at is your profile and your environment.

Get your IT guy to install the trial version on another PC and then log on to that. If the problem persists, discuss with IT giving you a temporary profile. Does that make any difference? If it does not, then revert to your normal profile as that contains all your settings for all your software.

For now, forget your real projects and do all your testing with simple new projects or the supplied sample projects.

What you are experiencing is not normal or none of us could work.

Post back when you have tried the above.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of long shots from looking through some old problems.

Do you have something called Joint Mission Planning System on your machine?

Do you have WebRoot on your machine?

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You refer to the IT guy doing the install/uninstall, but under which user name?

RH prefers that you install it as yourself with full admin rights, and that you retain such rights for at least the opening of one project. After that, I believe it's safe for IT to remove those rights, if that's your company process.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp