• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't find MS HTML Help Worshop

Participant ,
May 12, 2008 May 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted this elsewhere too; recently re-installed RoboHelp 7, but can’t compile classic chm Help file, says it “can’t find the Microsoft HTML Help workshop”, even though it is in Programs Files, tried re-installing Workshop, but says I have a higher version (1.4) already installed, tried re-installing I.E. 7, but although RoboHelp now says it generated the chm, I can’t find it.

When I do find a chm file, Windows says I should associate the chm file type with a program in Folder Options. When I select the HTML Workshop to open the file, nothing happens. In fact, old chm files that used to open instantly, no longer appear. So, I reboot. Now old chm files open, in Help Workshop, but they are gobbldie-gook text.

Que pasa? What’s going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Colin,

> tried re-installing Workshop, but says I have a higher version (1.4)
> already installed

That message is misleading because it is referring to the HTML Help viewer components rather than the compiler components. The HTML Help Workshop installation package includes an old copy of hhupd.exe, the utility for upgrading hh.exe, hhctrl.ocx, and the other viewer components. However, hhupd.exe is blocked on all modern (post-98) versions of Windows, where upgrading the viewer components is possible using the O/S service packs and critical updates only. In reality, your computer probably has much more recent versions of these components than the ones in hhupd.exe.

> When I do find a chm file, Windows says I should associate the chm file
> type with a program in Folder Options

You could try running the "CHM File Association Fix" available from this site:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

And for good measure, run MJ's Help Diagnostics to ensure that all the HTML Help-related components are in place and properly registered.

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
OK, ran both, reboot, clicked on MS Dictionary, but it opened in Help Workshop, went to Folder Options and now there is a choice between the Help Workshop and an executable, choose the executable and everything looks fine, compiled my project and it works and views, das gut, danka, now on to the next 20 questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp