• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some topics missing breadcrumbs and nav links

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2008 Jun 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

three of my topics (out of 351) are missing breadcrumbs and navigation links (I am using using Traditional style -no skin setting so I need these at the top of my topic) - I can't find any differences in code or topic properties or settings that would account for this - the topics are in the browse sequence

any ideas ? suggestions ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 01, 2008 Jul 01, 2008
Problem Solved ! - RoboHelp does not like quotes around words in a title

following Peter's suspicion that the problem had something to do with being generated with word etc. and finding all the metatags matching up I tried to determine what was different about the 14 topics that wouldn't show breadcrumbs just using design view - I noticed they all had quote marks around words in the titles - right clicking on the afflicted topics' titles in the Table of Contents in the Project Manager "pod", th...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the meta tags include anything suggesting the topics were created from importing Word documents?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Here's a wild and crazy thought. The topics with no breadcrumbs, do they actually appear anywhere in your Table of Contents (TOC) structure?

Since the breadcrumbs feature seems to indicate where the topic exists in the structure of the TOC, I'm thinking that if the topic exists only perhaps as a pop up topic from another, it woudn't receive any breadcrumb links. After all, where would the links point to?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2008 Jun 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter -
Most of my 351 topics were created in word originally, but most are working (after posting I found that there were actually 14 topics with this problem) - comparing metatags on the ones that don't show breadcrumbs and nav links line for line with the ones that do they look identical - I tried making new topics with just a title (in webhelp - not word) and inserting them in the browse sequence after deleting some of the problematic ones - same problem with the new topics !

So weird ... seems to be assciated with the browse sequene position .. or ?

I tried making new topics before and after in the browse sequence of the newly made topics with titles only that showed the same behaviour and they (the second set) worked normally but the previously made new ones didn't !

I removed breadcrumbs entirely and nav links showed up in all topics and worked normally !

I suppose a user could use the contents list instead of breadcrumbs to see where they are at but it really isn't as clear because of the volume of files divided among 2 sections and 8 books (it is a training leader's manual)

Rick -
the non working topics are in the TOC and browse sequence like the rest and they are not pop ups

Thanks guys
Raven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2008 Jun 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't worried whether or not the metatags were the same, just whether they included something like

<meta name=Originator content=ImportDoc>
<meta name=OriginalFile content="filename.doc">

The fact that new topics have the problem does however pretty much rule that out.

Have you tried renaming the CPD and then reopening the project?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2008 Jun 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicated post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2008 Jul 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem Solved ! - RoboHelp does not like quotes around words in a title

following Peter's suspicion that the problem had something to do with being generated with word etc. and finding all the metatags matching up I tried to determine what was different about the 14 topics that wouldn't show breadcrumbs just using design view - I noticed they all had quote marks around words in the titles - right clicking on the afflicted topics' titles in the Table of Contents in the Project Manager "pod", then right clicking on properties I removed the offending quote marks from the TOC Page Properties box and all the breadcrumbs and nav links showed again

Peter - I did try renaming the CPD and it no effect on this - thanks for your help in pointing in the general direction ala Monte Python - much appreciated (again)

I don't know if this would be called a "bug" exactly - but I will be starting my topic pages from now on without any quote marks in the title and adding them later in design view if I need them

Raven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me guess those quotes were generated by Word and were smart quotes? HTML hates smart quotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter -
I am not sure whether any or all of those titles were generatd in word as I've been making quite a few titles in RH7 - so to get some idea how to answer your question I added double quotes to one title and single quotes to another using TOC Page Properties in RH7 - the double quotes did the same thing - blocked the breadcrumbs and nav links from showing in the topic - the single quotes didn't and that topic shows the breadcrumbs and nav links

I suspect RH& may not like double quotes in titles period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I can replicate that problem.

You should report it as a bug.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - reported and linked to this thread

Thanks again, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just wanted to add a couple of things to this post. Having straight quotes in the TOC is what causes the problem. You can still have the quotes in the topic title, but you will have to rename the TOC link. Also, while straight quotes block breadcrumbs, smart quotes do not. You can use smart quotes in the TOC and everything will work fine.

One more thing...this not only blocks the breadcrumbs from appearing, but it also blocks the highlighting of the search results. The fix is the same, remove the straight quotes from the TOC.

-Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, who knew?

Smart quotes are finally good for something!

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having a similar problem in my WebHelp output (using RH7) - some topics are missing breadcrumbs. However, none of the topic titles for these topics contain quotes, all of the topics are in the TOC and none of the topics were imported.

Here are some other observations:

- All of the topics that do not display breadcrumbs are within the same top-level book. However, there are books within that book that contain topics that do display breadcrumbs.

- Length of the path doesn't seem to be the problem - some topics that don't display breadcrumbs have long paths, but others that do display breadcrumbs have longer paths.

- I've tried turning off breadcrumbs and generating the WebHelp - that seems to work (i.e., don't see breadcrumbs in the output). When I turn breadcrumbs back on and generate the output again, the topics still do not display breadcrumbs.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what might be causing this? Thanks for any help you can offer . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp