• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If making a change to a TOC, do I need to re-generate help file?

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There's an error in a help file that's already deployed in our application. I need to remove text from the "What's New" topic file and remove a bookmark in the TOC. Do I need to re-generate the whole help file to get the TOC updated? Ideally, I would like to provide the developer with the updated what's_new.htm file and the file that updates the TOC (but what file is this?). Is this possible? Or do I need to provide the whole set of help files again to the developer?

Thanks,
FMnRH

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were just text in the topic, you could get away with just replacing that topic although your search results would be wrong. As the TOC is affected, give the developer the whole lot.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid that was the answer. Is there no way to isolate the files that need to be updated due to the bookmark removal from the TOC? (Othere an Aside from deleting the related topic, that is.)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2008 Jun 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is, use something like Beyond Compare to compare the contents of the old output and the new output. By the time you have done that, got different files into different folders and sorted out the mess someone else makes of delivering it, you might want to deliver the whole lot. :-)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RH output process is:

* Generate output to a location on your local machine (the Output tab indicates "Updating" all files).

* Publish output to a location on a server (Publishing Result dialog provides a list of only the changed files in the Files published pane - you have a Print option, but you can't export the list to a file, nor can you copy it to the Clipboard). These are the files you can provide to the developer, or the developer can simply pick up the new files from your server location.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
FMnRH,

Has your developer said it would be more trouble to replace everything, compared with the risk of just one of the updated files going astray -- especially considering that you're changing some contents (but not all) of the output directories beginning with wh_ ?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp