Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing projects

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2009 Dec 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have build a AdobeCaptivate project - such an example, test.

The size of each slide in this TEST in 1024*768 pixels. But people, who have netbooks, or notebookks with small display, can't watch this TEST. Can users minimize or maximize the TEST?

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

They could watch the published movie, but will get scroll bars and have to scroll.

You can resize a project using the menu Project, Rescale project. But every resizing will result in a more or less visilbe loss of quality. Downscaling gives of course better results then upscaling. You'll have the best result if you downscale while maintaining the width-heigth ratio, p.e. from 1024x768 to 800x660 or 640x480. You can let Captivate rescale objects like Text Captions or do some manual editing after rescaling. I'd recommend to keep the original project in a separate file.

Hope this helps,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Lilybiri advised, I'll also add this.

Things work as stated if you are using Captivate as intended. What I mean by that is that it will typically create a few different files. One of them is the .HTM file. If you choose to clear the option for creating the HTML file, you typically see the warning below:

tmp1.png

This happens because Captivate creates the HTML page in an effort to specify playing back in the exact size as you recorded. This ensures the maximum fidelity.

But another option exists. As with anything, options also include trade offs. The option is to forego using the HTML page designed to play back the Captivate movie. Instead, you open the .SWF directly. When you open in this manner, it will scale to fit whatever the browser window is sized to. The tradeoff here is that your movie could possibly become totally illegible if the scaling is severe. But it may be worth trying to see what sort of results you get. I've had Captivate class participants that seem quite pleased with this outcome.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Rick, thanks for your valuable complementary advice.

Perhaps, to make the picture more complet, worth to mention that some functionality of CP such as right mouse click triggers is not there when someone chooses to start the SWF and forego the HTML-file. Do you agree?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Yep, you make an excellent point, are totally correct and I agree!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2009 Dec 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How timely this post is! I am facing the same issue. How do you open the swf only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally a Captivate movie is played by the end user clicking a link somewhere that points to a HTML page. Typically the page Captivate creates. So instead of a link pointing to SomeFolder/SomeOtherFolder/MyMovie.HTM it would instead point to SomeFolder/SomeOtherFolder/MyMovie.SWF.

Please note that this should work most of the time. However, there are instances where the Browser or whatever won't understand what to do with a .SWF all by itself. But by and large it should work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. When I publish the project, do I still publish HTML and then not use it? I get the following messages when I do:

delete.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You could ignore the warning and just publish the SWF, or else keep the settings to publish with the HTML and upload only the SWF. Be sure that you do not use right click functionality in the CP-file, it will not work when you only open the SWF and do not use the HTML-file.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. open the htm captivate generates when publishing

2. change the following hard parameters from 1004 x 623 to 100% x 100%

var so = new SWFObject("Chapter2_IntroV1_1004x592.swf", "Captivate", "1004", "623", "8", "#CCCCCC");

var so = new SWFObject("Chapter2_IntroV1_1004x592.swf", "Captivate", "100%", "100%", "8", "#CCCCCC");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I like your html solution but it's left me with something else to get around. Is there any way to force the  browser to open in a maximized window - so that the user does not squint through the whole training session becasue they don't know it will resize? I've found a solution that works in IE - (it forces it to open in a new, maximized window) but not in firefox where the command to open as a new window actually makes it open in a new tab without maximizing the appication window. I haven't been able to find anything that works across Firefox and IE (the main browsers used by my audience)

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried changing the size to 100% in the HTML, it didn't work. It changed it to 100px x 100px instead of percent. Any suggestions?

I have my project daisy chained so that when section one is finished, it goes to section two, and so on, and I noticed once it makes that change, the SWF resizes with the window, it's only when I open the initial HTML file that it stays it's original size.

Any suggestions? I'd rather use an HTML solution than SWF for the predictability.

Thank you,

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding my last post, it worked in IE8 and Chrome, but it's not working with Firefox!

Any ideas?

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, how bizarre, it used to work (at least I'm 99% sure I tested with FF). I've had no luck solving this but will try and come up witha  solution! Sorry for the late response, I've been without internet access for a few days due to travel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have responded that I found a workaround.

I changed the pixels to a percentage, then also removed the doctype declaration, then it works in Firefox. In my case, I'm distributing it on a CD (at least for now anyway), so I figured there will be no repercussions in doing this.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2535509#2535509

As for getting the browser to open maximized ... I didn't even pursue that. I've had enough other frustrations to keep me busy!

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched for an answer to this for ages and found nothing. Like you have only been ableto force it to open in a maximised window in IE. Please post if you eventually get lucky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2010 Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't control everything in a web environment. While I admire your effort to make things as easy as possible for the user, keep in mind that many users (myself included) don't like web applications taking control of their windows. If your end-users have trouble with such basic web browser skills, perhaps you might want to create a tutorial to address that issue, and make it a prerequisite for any other training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources