• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 can the template file be updated later and reassigned

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2009 Dec 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears once my htt file has been made and my project begins I cannot update it and have it update my existing pages. For example: I want to add another javascript to every page? When the project is published it does not seem to update my existing pages. Is there a method to update my htt file and have it regenerate all my pages with the new code? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

I am sorry to say that I know of no way in RH7 to reapply a template to existing topics in such a manner.  I have yet to use RH8, so I can't speak to that.

There are ways to do these sorts of mass updates to HTML outside of RoboHelp using a scripting language such as Perl, but I don't know how to accomplish it from within RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Carly -

When a template file is attached to an existing topic, the impact is limited. I believe only the header/footer and CSS will be updated on existing topics. The body section of templates or other changes (such as a script element in the head section) will not be applied.  Those sorts of items are only applied when the template is used to create a new topic.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to open ALL my existing pages and paste the new javascript (or whatever object)! There is no way to globally redefine the template. The htt file is not updated on publish? Does the Master pages in RH8 fix this? This is really awful and not what I wanted to hear but please confirm that I am understanding my options: Cut and paster new code into each existing page header if I want to add a javascript to all pages.

This really means that before starting a project you need to clearly define what actions and functions you need and perhaps put a bunch in you may need just in case. For example I have been told I need to put a javascript in so that our page counters can monitor what content is being hit. So I will have to open ALL 1500 pages to add this! I'm in denial please tell me I have misunderstoon, he he

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to say that I know of no way in RH7 to reapply a template to existing topics in such a manner.  I have yet to use RH8, so I can't speak to that.

There are ways to do these sorts of mass updates to HTML outside of RoboHelp using a scripting language such as Perl, but I don't know how to accomplish it from within RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I sort of knew this was true since I could not make it work. Do you think if I created a new css file I could do it that way?

Carly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking I could use DreamWeaver and create a website with my folder structure and apply it there. I think that might work. Thanks for your quick therapy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear how creating a new CSS would get javascript into topics. Nor can I see how DW would make the task any easier than RH.

Sounds more like a job for a multi file find and replace tool such as http://www.helpware.net/FAR.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct about DW not fixing the template. DreamWeaver will just let me have a collaborative site that others can edit their pieces with. I then pull them off the server and update my RH files. Thanks for the tool reference it looks very useful-)

carly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp