Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Info bar blocks me from opening Webhelp

Dec 23, 2009 Dec 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched computers & upgraded the OS to Windows 7. Using IE 8, RoboHelp HTML 7.03

When I compiled my Webhelp project & tried to view it, an Info Bar prevented me from opening the help. I have never seen this before & as far as I can tell, I haven't changed any settings in my WebHelp generation in SSL.

The bar says "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer."

I assume this same info bar would also sabotage the distributed webhelp for our clients. Perhaps only for clients with IE 8, or those with Windows 7 + IE 8.

I found a setting in IE (Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security/ "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" check box) that turns off the info bar for me, but asking our clients to set some setting in IE so that they can read the Help is not an option.

My boss thinks there is some setting in RoboHelp that I can set or change to prevent this Info Bar from blocking Webhelp. Anyone know of such a setting?

Thanks for your help,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi John,

In the Single Source Layouts pod, double click WebHelp

At the bottom right, select the Add Mark of the Web checkbox

Click Finish to compile

Hopefully this helps.

I am also using Windows 7 and RH7. So far so good!

Randi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

In the Single Source Layouts pod, double click WebHelp

At the bottom right, select the Add Mark of the Web checkbox

Click Finish to compile

Hopefully this helps.

I am also using Windows 7 and RH7. So far so good!

Randi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right! I changed it and it works fine now. Thanks so much! And Merry Christmas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold up. MOW is for when the webhelp is viewed locally such as when you are developing the help. For customers the webhelp should be on a server when the information bar would not appear and when MOW should not be used.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2009 Dec 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, let's see if I have this straight.

1) I should clear that MOW check box because it is going to interfere somehow with the help when it is accessed from the server.

2) Even though the info bar appears to me, it isn't going to appear to users who open the help from the server, so there was no issue in the first place.

3) I can go ahead and block the info bar from appearing to me by setting that check box in IE's Advanced tab that I had found.

Is that right?

By the way, in case you are keeping score, I can't see any way to unmark the current "right answer" as right & give you the points. How did Adobe hide that functionality?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I believe I saw another post that said Peter was stepping out for a while. So since he's likely not going to answer soon, here's my take:

John D 67995437 wrote:

Thanks, Peter, let's see if I have this straight.

1) I should clear that MOW check box because it is going to interfere somehow with the help when it is accessed from the server.

No need to clear the MOTW check box. It should not interfere with anything on the server. All it does is to ensure one line of code is added into each HTML page during the generation process. The code it adds is only significant if you are viewing the page from your local hard drive. When viewing from a server, I believe the code is treated as a comment would be and is ignored.

John D 67995437 wrote:

2) Even though the info bar appears to me, it isn't going to appear to users who open the help from the server, so there was no issue in the first place.

Exactly. Only YOU, the help author will see the issue. Of course, if you are planning on making the help available for your end user to download, or if your developers are locally installing the WebHelp, the end user would see it if MOTW wasn't present.

John D 67995437 wrote:

3) I can go ahead and block the info bar from appearing to me by setting that check box in IE's Advanced tab that I had found. Is that right?

Certainly you may operate that way if you wish. However, please note that you are slightly opening yourself for malicious behavior as you are somewhat relaxing your security by choosing that option.

John D 67995437 wrote:

By the way, in case you are keeping score, I can't see any way to unmark the current "right answer" as right & give you the points. How did Adobe hide that functionality?

John

Have you ever seen the American version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?". Usually Drew Carey opens the show and typically always makes a comment about the points. Something like: Welcome to "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter. That's right the points are just like tasteful shoes to Ryan Stiles.

Certainly flagging the actual correct answer may be helpful to someone down the road that decides to use the search function and finds the post, but as far as points go, we really don't care about them. They really don't serve a useful purpose other than to perhaps provide an indication of forum activity. I've seen many heated discussions where folks want points to go away. The bottom line here is that Adobe is using forum software they have licensed from Jive. They don't really do any major forum software programming.

Hopefully this helps some... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. That does help

And anyone else who is interested in this issue can find out more about Microsoft's Mark of the Web feature in the MSDN library.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining about Jive. Just wondering, does that have anything to do with the frustrating problem that when I search in RoboHelp's Help file, I get a LiveDocs Search Results window that is completely useless because it has no vertical scrollbar?

Or am I not seeing a vertical scrollbar because of some IE setting I haven't set correctly?

Thanks for any light on this mystery.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, no I would seriously doubt it. Forums are a totally different animal than help is.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp