21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 6:41 AM by Harm Millaard

Assistance with setup/install of my new system.

kohns Level 1

Hello,

I am new to this forum.

Today I ordered the following system based on the advisory topics fromHarm Millaard.

Case: CHIEFTEC-WH-02B-B SERVER BLACK
      Disks: 6 WD 1TB black

Disk controller: ARECA-ARC-1222 8 PORT SERIAL ATA RAID CONTROLLER

CPU:  INTEL-CORE I7 960 45NM 3.20 FSB1600 8MB LGA 1366

CPU Cooler: SCYTHE-MUGEN II CPU COOLER REV.B

Graphics: MSI-R5770-PM2D1G 1024MB GDDR5 RADEON 5770 PCI EXPRESS

Motherboard: ASUS-P6T SE DDR3 SOCKET I7 INTEL® X58

Memorry : 2 times CORSAIR-TR3X6G1333C9 6GB KIT (3X2GB) 1333MHZ DDR3 XMS TRIPLE CHANNEL SERIES
      PSU: CORSAIR-HX650 ADVANCED HIGH PERFORMANCE POWER SUPPLY

Sofware: MICROSOFT-64 NL WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL 64BIT

I had to change a few things because of stock problems and I had to order/bill in 2009 (for taxes ;-) )

From my old PC I already have a:

- LG BR writer

- 1 x old 320GB 7200 RPM WD disk

- 2 x 500GB 7200 RPM WD disks

- Dell screen/monitor

- Adobe Pro CS4

How would you configure the disks?

I was thinking of

- Partition C    - 1 x 320GB for windows and applications on my mobo controller

- Partition D/E - 1 x 500GB for paging (1st partition 30 GB) and backup (acronis images of windows) on my mobo controller

- Partition F    - 2 x 1TB in mirroring on the Areca for my data (personal data, captured-video, video-output, ...)

- Partition G    - 4 x 1TB disks in raid 3 on the Areca for Premiere projects

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You are talking about partitions, but from what I understand you are talking about separate disks. Partitioning a single disk so it acts as it were several disks is not advised. You also mentions Acronis for disk images, so I deduct from that you are worried about security.

You have:

1 x 320 GB

2 x 500 GB

6 x 1000 GB

Given your worry about security, let me give you two alternatives:

A. 2 x 500 GB as raid1 for OS & programs. Then you no longer need Acronis for disk images. That will be done by the raid1, which can be configured on your mobo. Use the 1 x 320 for pagefile, media cache and miscellaneous material. Use the 6 x 1000 on the Areca in raid3 (possibly use 1 disk as a hot-spare, so your raid is effectively 5 x 1000 gross and 4 x 1000 net) so 1 disk can fail (or even 2 in the case of a hot-spare) without losing data. The drawback is the waste of space on the raid1.

B. Get another 320 disk and use that in a raid1 on the mobo, use the 2 x 500 disks in raid0 on the mobo for pagefile, media cache and possibly project backups and other data, and use the 6 x 1000 in 5+1 or 6 configuration on the Areca in raid3.

• 2. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
            kohns Level 1

Thank you Harm for the quick reply.

I am not worried at all for windows and my applications (as I use acronis for that).

I am more worried about my personal data (pictures, docs, ... ).

But I suppose you ment to use the 500GB disks for all 3 purposes :

- OS

- Applications

- Data

But that brings me to another thing... I actually want my OS + Applications on a seperate partition as I want to be able to rebuild (from scratch or with acronis) the OS + applications seperately from my Data disks.

So that would mean partitioning the 500GB disks... which you advised not to do.

I also made a strange discovery when doubel checking my old disks.

I actually only own:

• 1x     250GB WD WD2500KS (from 2006)

(previously used as C (windows), D (Data), E(pagefile) )

Data Transfer Rate    
              Buffer to Host
                   100 MB/s (Mode 5 Ultra ATA)
                   66.6 MB/s (Mode 4 Ultra ATA)
                   33.3 MB/s (Mode 2 Ultra ATA)
                   16.6 MB/s (Mode 4 PIO)
                   16.6 MB/s (Mode 4 multi-word DMA)
              Buffer To Disk
                   61 MB/s (Max)
              Buffer     16 MB
              Seek Time
                   Track-Track     2.0 ms (average)
                   Full Stroke Read Seek (Average)     21 ms (average)
              Rotational Speed     7,200 RPM (nominal)

• 1x     500GB WD WD5001ABYS WDRE2 

(previously used as F (captured video + adobe projects) )

Interface Type:    Serial ATA-300
              Buffer Size:     16 MB
              Features:     Native Command Queuing (NCQ), Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF), Time-Limited Error Recovery (TLER)
              Compliant Standards:     S.M.A.R.T.
              Drive Transfer Rate:     300 MBps (external) / 98 MBps (internal)
              Seek Time:     8.9 ms (average) / 21 ms (max)
              Track-to-Track Seek Time:     0.6 ms
              Average Latency:     4.2 ms
              Spindle Speed:     7200 rpm

• 1x     320GB Samsung HD321KJ

(previously used as G (rendered/output video files), H (backup) )

Interface     SATA 3.0 Gbps
              Buffer DRAM Size     16 MB
              Performance Specifications
                   Seek time - track to track     0.8 ms
                   Seek time - average     8.9 ms
                   Seek time - full stroke     18 ms
              Average Latency     4.17 ms
              Rotational Speed     7200 rpm
              Drive Reday Time     10 sec

• 1x     160GB WD WD1600JS                   

(previously used in external USB enclosure  for backup personal data)

Data Transfer Rate    
                   Buffer to Host     1,200 MB/s (Max)
                   Buffer To Disk     748 MB/s (Max)
              Buffer     8 MB
              Seek Time
                   Track-Track     2.0 ms (average)
                   Full Stroke Read Seek (Average)     21 ms (average)
              Rotational Speed     7,200 RPM (nominal)
              Interface     Serial ATA II

So it is a combination of the 6x 1TB WD Blacks + 2 of the discs above as I can only fit 8 disks in the rack and need 2 other disks for my old system.

Sorry to let you restart all over from scratch... well not entirely from scratch as you now have a little more information ;-)

Also interisting to know is what I currently have:

• +- 50GB of personal data that does not grow quickly... mainly personal foto's
            • +- 300GB of captured HD (1440x1080) video from my sony HDR-HC3 camcorder  which I captured these last 2 years...
            • 3. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

With the physical limitation of 8 disks and the given 6 (or 5+1) disk raid3, that leaves 2 disks to decide on. I would continue using the 160 external for backup of personal data. Since you have checked your disks again, I would suggest to use the 320 G disk for OS & programs. Given the limited amount of personal data I would put these on the D: drive, for which I would use the 500 G disk. The pagefile should be the first file on this disk and have a fixed size of 8 GB or possibly 12 GB if you do a lot of multitasking. In addition you have your personal data on there, as well as the Acronis images, where the last ones can also be copied to the external. The 250 G is in reserve for calamities. I would put projects, source/media and scratch disks all on the raid3.

This way you need not partition, you have data and programs on separate disks so it is easy to restore an image to your C drive, while keeping your data intact.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                kohns Level 1

Great...

Oh and with 5+1 do you mean:

- 5 disks + 1 parity

- or 4 disks + parity + 1 extra unused disk in case of failures

That would mean the following performance gain according to your calc:

6-15-1
                reads0.854.253.4
                writes0.632.4

I suppose I put the 2 extra disks on the motherboards controller as well right ?

• 5. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct, 5+1 is meant to say 5 disks in a raid3 (4 for data and 1 for parity) plus one hot-spare.

6 means 6 disks in raid3 (5 for data and 1 for parity). And your caclulations are correct also.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                    kohns Level 1

A few more questions:

1. Would I not be better off with RAID10 instead of RAID3 ?
                      Let me explain.
                      First let us imagine I will not keep a spare/hot swap and just buy a new disk
                      whenever one would crash... I am just a hobbyist so I don't need it to be fixed right away.
                      In that case I would have 6 disks available for my raid volume.
                      This would give met the following calculations based on my 6 1TB disks:

write multiplier
                    read multiplier
                    max storage
                    extra info
                    Raid10333 TerrabyteCan read/write simultaniously
                    A max of 2 disks can fail simultaniously
                    Raid34.2535 TerrabyteBecause of the parity a Raid3 can often not read/write simultaniously
                    A max of only 1 disk can fail simultaniously
                    Takes while to rebuild

So Raid10 has better redundancy and less penalty when a disk crashed then raid3.
                    At this rate I also do not need more then 1-1.5 TB for projects/, source/media and scratch for a while so the 3 Terrabyte should be more then enough I think.
                    Since my projects, source/media and scratch will be on the same
                    raid volume,  during video processing Adobe will have to read AND write to the raid volume simultaniously which will not always be possible in RAID3 if I read the docs correctly.
                    You could say raid 10 has a minor performance penalty because of the mirroring but is that more then calculating/writing to a parity disk... I doubt it.
                    So would I not be better off with Raid10 ?
                    I do understand raid3 is faster if your source+projects , scratch and output are all 3 on different volumes but when on the same raid volume I start to wonder if raid10 ain't faster/better for me...

2. I went throught the Areca 1220 manual and it is not clear if I need or don't need

an extra cable ?

In the manual it says the package content is:

• 1 x SAS RAID controller in an ESD-protective bag
                    • 1 x Installation CD – containing driver, relative software, an   
                            electronic version of this manual and other related manual
                    • 1 x User Manual

In the installation instructions at step 5 (figure 2-3) they say you have to connect the SATA disks using a Min SAS 4i (SFF-8087) internal connector.
                    Each of those connector cables can connect 4 SATA disks.  So I need 2 of them.
                    But the questions is are they included or not ?

3. In the Areca 1220 manual they mention each raid volume has his own SCSI Channel,

SCSI ID, SCSI LUN, ... and Cache mode.

What is better : Write-through or write-back ?

• 7. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

With your foreseen storage requirements, you can easily create three arrays of two disks each as raid1 and then stripe these to a raid10. That will give you 3 TB net storage and good performance. I would use write back caching, not write through. And you need two forward breakout cables, 8087 ML to 4 SATA. I would assume these to be included with the Areca controller, but ask your supplier.

I have a different card (1680iX-12) that came with 3 ML to SAS cables, which I exchanged for 8087 ML to 4 SATA cables without a problem.

Channel, ID and LUN are handled by the hardware, no need to worry about them. In my case they are 0/0/0 on both raid3 arrays.

• 8. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                        kohns Level 1

Thanks again Harm for your feedback.

So you confirm raid3 won't be faster (maybe slower) then raid10 if my source, projects and scratch disk are all on the same raid volume right?

If it is the same speed then it is just a matter of what I want (more storage less redundancy > raid3 |  less storage more redundancy > raid10 )

(my os/applications on a seperate disk and my pagefile on another seperate disk).

• 9. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

In your previous table you mixed the read and write speeds for Raid3. Raid3 (6 disks) will be about equal in write performance to 3 raid1's striped to raid10. For reads the raid3 will be a bit faster than the raid10. Your summary is quite correct:

Raid3: more storage, less security versus Raid10: less storage, more security. Equal performance on writes, some performance advantage on reads for the raid3.

The speed difference is probably negligent in real life, so with your storage requirements and peace of mind, I would opt for the raid10.

• 10. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                            kohns Level 1

OK Thanks...

At least I now know how to start with my disks setup so I can start copying/backing up to prepare my disks.

Oh and Merry Christmas to all of you.

• 11. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                              kohns Level 1

Just to let everyone know...

I decided to purchase 2 additional SATAII 320GB disks so I can configure :

diskcontrolledtypecapreadwrite
                              os + app1mb-320 GB1.001.00
                              page + data2mbstripe320 GB2.002.00
                              project6cntrlraid35 T B4.253.00

Similar to what Harm suggested in his very first reply.

I found 4 disks cage that only requires 3 5.25 bays.

So all disks + BR-RW do fit ;-)

• 12. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                kohns Level 1

Should I format my raid 3 (6 x TB disks) using MBR or GPT ?

Currently I set it up for GPT .

I also noticed my raid 3 (6 x TB disks) are so much hotter (when I touch them with my hands) than my other disks.

Is that normal?  I have not installed any data on them yet... so there should not be any reason these disks run as crazy for the moment.

I initially noticed this when my raid controller whas not plugged in into the pci-express slot yet... my disks were only connected to the power supply.

I thought they were so hot because they were not connected to the controller yet. But now the areca controller is plugged into the pci-express slot and the disks are attached to it and I configured raid3 and formated the raid3 volume.  And even now they are so hot...

• 13. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

GPT is the correct way to configure your raid. It allows for volumes larger than 2 TB.

Use Speedfan to check your raid temperatures. In my case my raid30 is consistently at 30 C while my other disks are much cooler. Measuring by hand is rather difficult. HD0 and HD1 are separate F1's, HD2 is a Velociraptor and HD4 is my raid30.

Speedfan.jpg

• 14. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                    kohns Level 1

Speedfan doesn't list my disks... must be an issue with either windows 7 pro 64 bit or with my unrecognized motherboard or controller.

Anyway I have been monitoring it with the Areca Tool itself (Archttp) and after 1 hour the temperatures were between 42 and 53 degrees.

I booted the pc when it was cold and I did not touch use these disks during that hour.

I found a functionality called "Hdd Power Management" in the bios/firmware which has 4 options:

Stagger Power On Control

Time To Hdd Low Power Idle

Time To Hdd Low RPM Mode

Time To Spin Down Idle HDD

I changed the Time To Spin Down to 15 minutes... but don't dare to change the other 2 because of what they mention here:

http://www.webconnexxion.com/raid/info_pages.php?pages_id=49

Don' know though if that will help much since I will be havily using these disks during editing/rendering and so... so they won't be idle anyway...

I just found out something.  My first 2 disks (42 and 46 degrees) of the raid volume are actually on the bottom of my server each in a seperate 5,25 bay.  My 4 other disks (between 51 and 56 degrees) are in a 3x5.25 to 4x3.5 bay (http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/042/scyhdsx4-detail.html).  I needed to put them in that bay because I was missing room in my case.   But they do sit closer to eachother which could explain why they get hotter.  So I am now looking at an extra fan solution.

• 15. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Your temps may indeed be a case of fans and cooling. In my case I have a separate fan to push air over each 3 or 4 disks and at the back a separate fan to pull the warm air from the disks (push-pull configuration). I have a 92 mm fan to push in the air for each 3-disk cage and 120 mm for each 4 disk cage and several 120 mm fans to pull the air out from the back of each disk cage. That is one of the major reasons of my relatively low disk temps.

• 16. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                        kohns Level 1

I fixed the temp issue by simply putting 2 x 120mm fans

My hardware is assembled...

• single 160GB disk for OS and programs
                                        • 320GB x 2 Raid 0 on motherboard for paging and windows Temp folder
                                        • 1TB x 6 Raid 0 for projects

... and I ran the ppbm4 benchmark twice

• First run with project, scratch and output all on the 1TB x 6 Raid 0

kohns_01,   Personal or Computer ID
                                        ASUS,  Computer Manufacturer
                                        P6T SE,   Computer Model
                                        47,  secs Total Benchmark Time
                                        4,5,  secs AVI  Encoding Time
                                        29,5,  secs MPEG Elapsed Time
                                        13,  secs Rendering Time
                                        INTEL,    CPU Manufacturer
                                        Core i7 960 45nm 3.20,    CPU Model
                                        3.20,    GHz CPU speed
                                        2,    Number of CPU chips
                                        4,    Total Number of Cores
                                        12,    GB RAM
                                        4.2.1,    APP Version PPBM4 DV
                                        Win 7 Pro 64 bit,    OSVersion
                                        SATA,    OS Disk Interface
                                        160,    GB OS Disk Capacity
                                        7200,    OS Disk Speed
                                        SATA,    Project Disk Interface
                                        1000x6 R0,    GB Project Disk Capacity
                                        7200,    Project Disk Speed
                                        Same as Project Disk,    Preview Disk Interface
                                        Same as Project Disk,    GB Preview Disk Capacity
                                        Same as Project Disk,    Preview Disk Speed
                                        Same qs Project Disk,    Output Disk Interface
                                        Same as Project Disk,    GB Output Disk Capacity
                                        Same as Project Disk,    Output Disk Speed
                                        ASUS EAH5770,    Graphics Board

Windows Pagefile on seperate disk 320GB x 2 Raid0,    Comment

• For the second run I only moved the output to my 320GB x 2 Raid0

kohns_02,   Personal or Computer ID
                                        Asus,  Computer Manufacturer
                                        P6T SE,   Computer Model
                                        47,3,  secs Total Benchmark Time
                                        4,5,  secs AVI  Encoding Time
                                        29,8,  secs MPEG Elapsed Time
                                        13,  secs Rendering Time
                                        Intel,    CPU Manufacturer
                                        Core i7 960 45nm 3.20,    CPU Model
                                        3.20,    GHz CPU speed
                                        2,    Number of CPU chips
                                        4,    Total Number of Cores
                                        12,    GB RAM
                                        4.2.1,    APP Version PPBM4 DV
                                        Win 7 Pro 64 bit,    OSVersion
                                        Sata,    OS Disk Interface
                                        160,    GB OS Disk Capacity
                                        7200,    OS Disk Speed
                                        Sata,    Project Disk Interface
                                        1000x6 R0,    GB Project Disk Capacity
                                        7200,    Project Disk Speed
                                        Same as Project Disk,    Preview Disk Interface
                                        Same as Project Disk,    GB Preview Disk Capacity
                                        Same as Project Disk,    Preview Disk Speed
                                        SATA,    Output Disk Interface
                                        320x2 R0,    GB Output Disk Capacity
                                        7200,    Output Disk Speed
                                        Asus EAH5770,    Graphics Board
                                        Windows Pagefile + Output files on same seperate disk 320GB x 2 Raid0,,    Comment

From above tests there is a small advantage on having all on the 1TB x 6 Raid0.

I am thinking of buying 1 more disks to add or replace.

I feel my Windows is booting slow and writing a lot to disk during boot and opening of applications. I also still have to edit a lot.

The benchmarks above are only for rendering SD while I don't care about the (final) render time and SD:

• I will be doing only HD
                                        • I don't care how much it takes to get the final HD output rendered.
                                          I do care however about the speed during editing.

What do you recommend:

- buy 1x 320GB and do

320GB x 3 Raid0 for OS and Pagefile
                                                    as:
                                                      - I do not feel that the seperate pagefile does a lot with 12GB of RAM (but that might change when rendering bigger and HD projects)

- from the PPBM4 benchmarks Harm, you yourself, don't seem to use a separate disk for paging.

1TB x 6 Raid0 for projects

- buy 1x 150GB WD Raptor to replace my OS disk:

150GB Raptor OS

320GB x 2 Raid0 for Pagefile

- buy 1x 150GB WD Raptor for paging.

Not sure if a WD Raptor is faster/slower then a 320GBx2 Raid 0.

320GB x 2 Raid0 for Windows

150GB Raptor for Pagefile.

- buy 1x 1TB

160GB OS

1TB x 7 Raid0 or Raid3 for projects

• 17. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I would be worried about data security with a 6 disk raid0. If one disk goes, all your data are gone. From the alternatives you have offered, I would go for an additional 1 TB disk and configure the array as a raid3, possibly even with a hot spare, depending on how critical your data are and how fast you need to restore data in case of disk failure.

• 18. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                            kohns Level 1

Actually I do this just for a hobby and only for my own movies and since I have external eSATA backup disks I am not really afraid.

If a disk crashes I also have no deadline... I can wait for a week or longer to repair.

I understand as a professionel or semi-professional the cards are different.

I am more concerned about editing fast and having fast applications.

I am not that concerned about the speed of the final output to BR.

I noticed from the benchmarks that you do not use a seperate disk for the windows page file... is that correct... that would be against your rules (see your raid topic).

Do you think the 10000rpm for OS+Paging is faster than a single 7200rpm for OS + dedicated paging volume (320GB x 2 Raid0).

If so i then would have room for maximum 2 more disk (either for backup/copy or to expand my raid later)

The situation is that I have +- 150 euro I can still invest because I feel my windows is slow in booting and applications start slowly currently on my single 160GB 7200rpm disk.  For that price I can purchase one or more of:

• a single 150GB Velociraptor - 150 euro
                                            • 1 TB disk WD Black - 80 euro
                                            • 320GB WD - 40 euro
                                            • 3 x 5.25 to 4 x 3.5 convertor - 10 euro

I currently have room for a maximum 9 disks in my server case. I could make that 10 disks with the additional convertor.

On my Areca I can put a maximum of 8 disks. On my motherboard disk controller I can put maximum 6 disks.

I currently have available:

• 1x 160GB 7200RPM
                                            • 2x 320GB 7200RPM
                                            • 6x 1TB WD BLACK
                                            • 1x 500GB 7200RPM (currently not used)
                                            • 1x 250GB 7200RPM (currently not used)
                                            • 19. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually, I have a fixed pagefile (8GB) on my D drive, which is a two disk (2 x 1 TB) raid0 array.

My boot disk C is a 150 GB Velociraptor, my E drive is the project/media disk and consists of 12 x 1 TB in raid30. In addition I have one 1 TB disk for stock footage and one 1 TB disk for final projects or images.

Look here for specs:

PCResults.jpg

• 20. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                                kohns Level 1

So the best thing I can do with 150 euro to speed up OS/applications is to :

- buy 1x 150GB WD Raptor to replace my OS disk and configure as:

150GB Raptor OS

- or  buy 1x 320GB (keep the rest of the money in my pockets) and do

320GB x 3 Raid0 for OS and Pagefile

And just theoretically speaking is a 10000rpm WD Velociraptor faster then 2x7200rpm WD Caviar Blue in raid0 ?

• 21. Re: Assistance with setup/install of my new system.
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

2 x WD Caviar BLACK in raid0 is faster than a single Velociraptor, I don't know about Caviar Blue, but assume it also is faster.