• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio disappears once published

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate within eLearning Suite CS4. I have recorded several segments of FMV and included them in a Captivate project. On about 50% of the FMV segments, the audio cannot be heard once the project is published to an .exe file. The audio is fine within the Captivate project when reviewed as a Captivate file - but once the project is published to an .exe file, it is no longer there. Poof. Gone.

And only on about half of the FMV segments. All were recorded with exactly the same settings, etc..

What gives???

I am on a deadline and this does NOT help!!!

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Hi there,

Whilst I am not exactly sure why you are encountering this issue; what I can tell you is that moving the wave forms to say the 0.5 sec marker on the Timeline prevents Captivate from stiching all the audio files together when you publish, which can cause lots of problems.

Regards - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it happens that the most obvious is overlooked: could you check in the Publish settings (Edit, Preferences, Project) if the option 'Include audio' is activated?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is checked. Remember, this is affecting only SOME of the segments within

the SAME project. If this setting were incorrect, I imagine that NONE of the audio would be present.

Thanks, anyway for the super-fast response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S., This also is affecting TWO of 28 other slides in the same project. These slides are very simple - a background image, a caption, and an audio track.

Again, the audio is there within the .cp file, but GONE in the .exe file.

That tells me it has nothing to do with the FMR recordings per se and must be within the Publish process, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using FMR very sparingly, but seem to remember one suggestion: try to externalise the FMR (also in the Publishing settings).

BTW: is this CP4 you are using? If yes, did you install the update (Help, updates) because it solved a lot of audio issues.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using CP4.

What does externalizing the resources do, exactly - and why would that help (just for my own edification)?

In the meantime, I will check for updates - I thought I had them all applied already - I am pretty religious about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2009 Dec 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Morning over here, you probably posted late last night.

I cannot explain why externalizing sometimes seems to solve some issues. Being a control freak myself I understand very well that you want to know the reason, but I had to accept some workarounds without completely getting the reason, sorry!

Did you try it? The update was about the end of May, so if you are very disciplined about updates this probably will not be the reason.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Yes - I tried it - to no avail. And all updates had been previously applied.

Oh, well... I might have to just re-do the entire segment from the ground

up.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. Where are you located at? I am in Dallas TX US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry I couldn't help. Rainy Belgium over here,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As per your message, you see the audio problem only after 50% of project plays in the published EXE file.

Can you try the following just to check if it works - Let me try to explain the step with an example.

1. Suppose you have a project of 20 slides each slide containing audio files.

2. Publish the project as an EXE and play the project. Identify the slide after which the audio problem begins.

3. Suppose, in the published exe file, audio plays till 10th slide and audio problem is observed from 11th slide.

4. Then return to captivate project (.cp file) and go to 11th slide.

5. Go to timeline and shift the audio layer by a fraction of a sec to right. i.e. Let the audio play a fraction of sec later once the slide starts playing.

6. Now publish the project again and see if it resolves your audio issue.

Regards,

Mukul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

The problem is that, true 50%-ish does not play audio - but that 50% is not

all together (i.e., not all the last half).

The first 14 slides are fine

Slides 15-16 have no audio (after publishing - OK before)

Slide 17 is fine

Slide 18 has no audio (after publishing - OK before)

Slides 19-27 are fine, etc.

I will try the shifting on each of the "bad" slides. But do you have any

idea why that would cause/fix the issue? It doesn't seem to make sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Whilst I am not exactly sure why you are encountering this issue; what I can tell you is that moving the wave forms to say the 0.5 sec marker on the Timeline prevents Captivate from stiching all the audio files together when you publish, which can cause lots of problems.

Regards - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources