• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legal to use Adobe fonts in a logo?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've developed a logo for a client that incorporates text using an Adobe Font Face(Clarendon in this case). The client is asking me if the font license makes allowance for this. In other words, I'd selling a logo to a client that includes an Adobe font converted to outlines. Would this be interpreted as re-selling the font face? I've searched through the terms and conditions on this site and can't find anything that really clarifies the issue. Does anyone know where on the Adobe site there is legal language that covers this issue? Is it an issue that would be specific to each font fact?

Thanks

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

For the Adobe Font EULAs, see http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/legal/index.html.

For some further information on embedding fonts in PDF and EPS files as well as other electronic documents, see http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts that you license from the Adobe Type Library directly from Adobe (not licensing the same font through a third party), have absolutely no restrictions against what you propose, creating filled polygons from the text.

However, you should be aware the outlining text does cause rendering degradation for both display and printing.

A better solution would be to create a PDF file (or at worst, an EPS file) with the actual font embedded using the subset option to embed only the glyphs used in the logo. That is perfectly legal within the constraints of the EULA (End User License Agreement) for fonts in the Adobe Type Library sourced from Adobe. That would eliminate the quality degradation caused by outlining. Note that EULAs for non-Adobe fonts are usually less liberal in terms of embedding rights.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's very helpful. Do you know where I can find the End User License Agreement you're referencing or would it have been part of my original Adobe invoice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Adobe Font EULAs, see http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/legal/index.html.

For some further information on embedding fonts in PDF and EPS files as well as other electronic documents, see http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"However, you should be aware the outlining text does cause rendering degradation for both display and printing."

What kind of degradation is involved here?

I've been outlining characters for years under the assumption that - aside from letter spacing and other hinting specs built into a font - a character's outline is identical whether it resides inside the font context our outside as a converted outline.

Thanks,

Dale Hoffman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines