Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting custom png/jpeg/gif images in list styles

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2010 Jan 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating a list style. I want to use a custom png/jpeg/gif image as the bullet. Is it possible to do that. If yes, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Vinay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

hope it helps...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494012?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To explain the issue more clearly.

I am using my own template in RH7.

For bulleted list 1 style, I am using the image:BD21294_.GIF

For bulleted list 2 style, I am using the image:bullet.png

So, when you apply the above two styles, it looks as shown in the following figure.

figure1.PNG

But recently I upgraded RH to version 8 and both styles automatically changed to numbered lists. The font, indent, spacing. etc , everything is fine, except for those images which are replaced by numbers as shown in the following figure:

figure2.PNG

I am trying to edit the styles, but I am not able to find the option to insert those images in RH 8.

I think I am clear this time... Can someone help me with this.

Vinay....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We've discussed lists on this forum numerous times. Please search the forum.

What is probably happening is that your style definitions are set in the paragraph and that won't work anymore in RH 8.

See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/rh8_lists.htm for an overview over how to work with lists in RH 8.

As for your existing topics, please post an example topics. There may be a fairly easy solution to change make your project work.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hope it helps...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494012?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx for all your help. Acquired a lot of gyaan from the above 2 links. Without those links I will be wandering everywhere finding out how to convert those numbered lists to bulleted lists again.

Finally I decided to create new List styles which RH8 is providing. Thats the best option I guess.

Thnx again

V!ñ@¥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having said the above thing, there is one last clarification.

I have created a new list style with the formatting I want and applied that to a sentence/paragraph or whatever. What is the best way to remove all the formatting from that particular sentence/paragraph and make it normal or none.

V!ñ@¥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fastest way is to use a find and replace tool, to change the existing tags into the tags you want to use. If your old tags are like this: <li class="p-Bullet1"><p class="Bullet1"> and your list style is called BulletOne, you can replace all beforementiond tags with: <li class="BulletOne"><p>

If you post an example topic containing the old lists and the new lists, I can tell you what you need to find and replace.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Willam,

My old list style (Worked in RH7, but not RH8) in css is displayed as:

P.List2 {
list-style: url(bullet.png);
margin-left: 48px;
}

LI.P-List2 {
list-style: url(bullet.png);
}

Now, how should I change it in RH8.

V!ñ@¥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I assume that for your new list style is called List2New. How you do it depends on the way you worked. I guess you simply created a list by selecting a paragraph style from the style dropdown chooser.

First, backup your project. A find and replace operation can cripple your project beyond repair in seconds!

Search for all occurances of:

<li><p class="List2">

and

<li><p class=List2>

and replace both with:

<li class="List2New"><p>

As an extra precaution, also replace all occurances of:

<li class=P-List2><p class=List2>

and

<li class="P-List2"><p class="List2">

with:

<li class="List2New"><p>

All the List2-class lists, will now use the new Robo8 list class List2New.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Willam,

I understood where you are going. But when I upgraded my project to RH8, it automatically converted my old list styles to work the way similar to the code given by you now. The only problem now is to use the png/jpeg image in the new list style, which I think is not possible in RH8.

V!ñ@¥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2010 Jan 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, didn't quite get that... You can use images for list styles in RH:

If you use the new RH8 list styles (ie <li> classes) you can set the image using the RH CSS editor. Peter explains how to do this on http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/rh8_lists.htm

The other way is to add the code in CSS using an editor, such as Notepad or Notepad++. In the list class you want an image (for List2New, go to li.List2New), add the following code:

list-style-image: url(image.png);

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Willam,

I am able to insert images in list styles.

Few last queries:

1)  Do I always have to apply list styles from the "Styles and Formatting pod", as the list styles do not appear in the drop-down in the toolbar above.

2) After I apply a list style, what is the best way to change the text to Normal style. Because when I apply NORMAL from the drop-down on a bulleted list, the bullets are still remaining and only the text is changed to NORMAL. I also want to remove the bullet when a NORMAL is applied. Any possible way to do this.

V!ñ@¥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you adding the images the way I describe in the article to which Willam has given you the link? If you are, you should not be seeing a bullet and your text would be as defined for the list.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay

1. Think so, I always find I have to change the drop-down in the styles pod to show All Styles, rather than just paragraph and character styles. Tis annoying indeed.

2. You should be able to use a hard Enter, or backspace to delete the bullet style, you can also try using the Bullet icon in the toolbar to turn the bullets off, this is what I usually do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thnx William, Peter and Nick for all the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp