• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated files and layout

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After generating automatic documents in Frame9 suchs as TOC, List of Figures and the like I have saved these as templates. Trying to import these formats into newly generated documents will not import the chapter and pagenumbers nor their layout even though these have been included on the reference pages. Adjusting these afterwards often does not affect position, style or layout. More concrete: the numbers in front of the titles are specified yet missing, the page numbers are directly behind the titles instead of at the configured tab stop. Moreover, titles are in Arial, while the pagenums having the same paragraph tag are times new roman. Something I cannot seem to change.  Why does Frame not import the settings from the template or respond to my adjustments after updating. Sometimes it only partly updates.

Any help and ideas are welcome

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Pieter van de Sande wrote:

The TOC seems to work but importing the correct formats from the TOC into the Index does not do anything for the paragraph tags. Still, I do not understand how it is possible that the marker taken from the text is correct while the page number after the tabstop is not. The paragraph tag is the same, yet the lay out is not? How is it possible that on one line the information is correctly layed out, while the next line of the same paragraph tag and info it is not?

To be tr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pieter,

you will have to re-generate/update those documents after importing formats. Then all the formatting used on the reference page will be applied to the generated entries. Which leads to the conclusion, that you'd better first import the formats, and then generate the documents in future

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I import the formats when the documents do not exist (before generating them)? After all, they only come into existence after generation. Now, I create the documents using by adding them to the book, then import formats and adjust what's necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pieter,

you can add e.g. a TOC to a book at any moment, even when the chapters don't contain anything but empty pages. Sure, for getting a TOC, you'll have to generate it at first, but it doesn't need to contain anything. Try it this way:

- Add/generate the required TOC to your book. Don't care about any formatting, save it, close it.

- Open a fully formatted TOC of any other book, which you want to use as a format template.

- Save this TOC to the folder of your new book, using "Save as...", and give it exactly the name the TOC of your new book has. The TOC you originally generated will be overwritten by the formatted version, which currently (of course) contains the wrong entries.

- In the new book, generate/update your TOC. It will appear with the correct content and fully formatted.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a shot.  Is that the only (and proper) way to do?

The strange thing is that, even though having the same paragraph tag, the title/ is displayed in arial while the pagenum is in times new roman. This is the case in the template as well, yet as said, updating seems of no effect. I've been changing my paragraph tag for over an hour now and updating it, without any effect. It seems as if FM is malfunctioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TOC seems to work but importing the correct formats from the

TOC into the Index does not do anything for the paragraph tags. Still, I do not understand how it is possible that the marker taken from the text is correct while the page number after the tabstop is not. The paragraph tag is the same, yet the lay out is not? How is it possible that on one line the information is correctly layed out, while the next line of the same paragraph tag and info it is not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TOC seems to work but importing the correct formats from the TOC into the Index does not do anything for the paragraph tags. Still, I do not understand how it is possible that the marker taken from the text is correct while the page number after the tabstop is not. The paragraph tag is the same, yet the lay out is not? How is it possible that on one line the information is correctly layed out, while the next line of the same paragraph tag and info it is not?

To be true, I don't fully understand the problem here. For TOC and Index entries, you get (and use) different paragraph styles. So what should the import of the TOC styles to the index do? A TOC reads paragraphs using a selected format, an index is created from markers.

Both TOC and index have their own reference pages, and they (the reference pages) are where formatting happens. A TOC reference page, even if imported to an index, does nothing, it's simply not applied.

You'll have to check the formatting of the respective entries on the TOC and SIX reference pages. If it's correct there, it will be correct in your document. If not, you'll experience what you experience now: it doesn't work as expected. One thing more you should check is the use of character styles in your headings, which are used in your TOC. Maybe a character style causes the Arial formatting in the TOC.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that's what I thought when posing the question. Index and TOC are incompatible. To me they are simply generated files and if I configure the page numbers to be on the right in the Arial font in the TOC I expect these to be the same after importing formats into another generated file. I guess I need to change my train of thought.

I will now look into your character format suggestion.

Thanks for your patience and help

Bernd, it seems to have worked but I have not entirely figured out how or what. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that's what I thought when posing the question. Index and TOC are incompatible. To me they are simply generated files and if I configure the page numbers to be on the right in the Arial font in the TOC I expect these to be the same after importing formats into another generated file. I guess I need to change my train of thought.

Yes, the're independent from each other. If you look on the TOC reference page, you'll find entries like:

<$paratext>(tab character) <$pagenum>

This entry is formatted using the assigned "TOC" paragraph style, e.g. if you're reading a paragraph style named "Heading1", this entry is formatted using the "Heading1TOC" paragraph style. If this style is set to Arial, the whole line (paragraph text and page number) will be formatted using the Arial font, as long as you don't use separate character styles for the placeholders (<$paratext> or <$pagenum>).

Looking on the SIX reference page, there are other entries. You'll see e.g.

Level1SIX (tab character)

…

…

(tab character)<$pagenum>

In this case the text entry is formatted using the "Level1SIX" paragraph format, and the page number is formatted using the "IndexSIX" format. These may specify different fonts. You see, there are completely different formats and "building blocks" which are used to create a TOC and an Index entry.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2012 Aug 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar problems with my List of Figures. . Upon generation, my LoF lists all the graphics in order with a page number afterwards but there is no leader and no figure title (e.g., 'Figure 1–1 before the name of the graphic).  I realize there's no reason for the LoF to add the figure title as it's part of the style, but maybe there's a provision in the ref pages that allows for this.

I realize the solution is probably in the reference pages, as I was also having a problem with the ToC and was told to fix those pages, and this solved the problem.  However, this was a simple fix that I was able to do myself.  I've been looking at the ref pages for the List of Figures in the ref page I want to emulate, and I can't figure out how to change the ref pages in my current LoF.  I even tried deleting the ref pages and replacing them with theref pages from the 'good' LoF, but when I regenerated, I got blank body pages.

Could someone please run me through the required changes?  Perhaps a good hearted expert can let me send them attachments, if that will help?

Thank you so much!

PS  I tried importing formats from a 'good' LoF in another book, no go, and I also tried to rename the file as suggested above, no go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answers for the LOF are the same as those given elsewhere for the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Van,

I finally got the LOF to work by following one of the suggestions, to

rename the file as to the same name as a file that works. I can't seem to

import formats, I don't know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a shot.  Is that the only (and proper) way to do?

The strange thing is that, even though having the same paragraph tag, the title/ is displayed in arial while the pagenum is in times new roman. This is the case in the template as well, yet as said, updating seems of no effect. I've been changing my paragraph tag for over an hour now and updating it, without any effect. It seems as if FM is malfunctioning.

Not the only way, but the easiest way. You could - instead of overwriting the original (unformatted) TOC - import the formats/reference page/page layout as you did, but in any case you have to regenerate the TOC afterwards, for the formatting to be applied correctly. This ist the way it works.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines