Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Icon in tab/title bar

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way to change thei con that is displayed in a tab/window in which Webhelp is open. It's a little globe with a question mark that appears before the title of the WebHelp in the tab or window. I can't find setting in WebHelp or the skin that controls this, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Hi,

You're talking about the favicon, see http://www.favicon.cc/.It's just an icon (.ico) file. There are two ways to change it:

1. Replace whstart.ico with your own favicon.

2. Create your own icon and add the HTML for the favicon in very page you want to use it (excellent if you use lots of popups that would otherwise not use the favicon).

Note: IE is notorious for not (or not correctly) displaying the favicon.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you are referring to the avatar that appears before the tab name. For example:

If so, you can change it but not within RoboHelp. The trouble is I don't know how you would exactly. I suspect it could be handled inside the application. Maybe someone else can pipe up here?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You're talking about the favicon, see http://www.favicon.cc/.It's just an icon (.ico) file. There are two ways to change it:

1. Replace whstart.ico with your own favicon.

2. Create your own icon and add the HTML for the favicon in very page you want to use it (excellent if you use lots of popups that would otherwise not use the favicon).

Note: IE is notorious for not (or not correctly) displaying the favicon.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thanks to both of you.

I didn't know what it was called and each time I try to upload a screenshot, no matter what size, I get the "[The content type of this image is not allowed.]" error.

I appreciate the quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this.

you can replace the ico file in the install directory of RH, so it will always use the same file. you might have to edit your index.htm each time you publish (I have to add the ico ref code)

or

you can replace the ico in the published path. Handy if you want to change the ico for different flavours of webhelp.

this would be a nice feature for adobe to add though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

WRT Nick's suggestion - I'd just find the ico I want to use and rename it to whstart.ico. After all, I believe the code is already in place to reference it. This would seem the biggest bang for the effort.

And I further agree with Nick's suggestion that Adobe really should give us a UI way of specifying the icon. But that will likely never happen unless they hear from many folks asking for it.

So for anyone that believes it should be offered, please submit a Wish Form!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I replaced the icon file with my own both in my local RoboHelp files and in the files on the server and renamed them to be whstart.ico. This is fine until I generate and publish again, at which time the file is replaced with the default icon. Do I need to add it to the install directory to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you want all your WebHelp outputs to always have the same icon, you can "climb up the food chain" and replace the seed icon in the installation folders.

I find the icon to be in these locations:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

Or here (I have TCS installed)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a query about this. Not sure if anyone can help...

I tried out the manual update (in the webhelp folder) on a project which was created in RH5. It worked really well.

So, I thought I would replace the icon files in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin\ area for the latest project I am working on.

The icons have definitely been replaced and the new icons are definitely in the webhelp output folder once the help has been generated, but for some reason they are not displayed within the browser (in the URL area or on tabs). A blank document icon is shown.

(See screenshot below.)

icon_issue.jpg

This is in Moilla Firefox on Windows.

The same happens in Google Chrome andf Safari.

In IE I see my new icon fleetingly for a fraction of a second, before it is replaced by the IE logo (which is not such a problem, as none of our customers will be using IE).

Any idea what is preventing the icon from being displayed? This only seems to happen on RH8. In RH5 it works just fine...

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update your index.htm file with the ico code?

This is my procedure....though I don't need to do it when using a publishing folder as they dont get overwritten.

Open you index.htm and add this code under the <head> tag at the top:

<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">

make sure in the root folder where you index.htm is, that you have the favicon.ico file sitting there. I also replace whestart.ico, whrstart.ico, and whstart.ico as I want them all the same. I noticed some were used in different popup windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

No, I didn't. But, I just tried that and nothing changed in the RH8 output.

It's strange that the RH5 output where I just replaced the whestart.ico, whrstart.ico, and whstart.ico worked fine.

Very confused...

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You edited the index.htm file outside of RH correct? RH seems to always remove the code when I add it, so this has to be done after.

Do you have a favicon.ico file in the same root folder as the index.htm, either in your generated/publishing folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes. I did a manual edit on the file that I have which is the equivalent of index.htm and I created a favicon.ico file and put it in the same directory, but nothing changed.

Very confused by this.

Thanks for your help so far.

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you try the favicon validator? http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/validator/

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the <head> code from my index.htm, does yours look the same?

<head>
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">
<script language="javascript">
<!--
var sIcon="whstart.ico";
var sPath=document.location.href;
if (sPath.indexOf("http")!= -1)
    document.write("<link REL=\"SHORTCUT ICON\" href=\""+ sIcon +"\">");
//-->
</script>
<title>Help Guide</title>

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />
<meta name="description" content="WebHelp 5.50" />

</head>

Notice it still refs the whstart.ico, which is why i replace it aswell. Bit of a carpet bomb approach from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willem and Nick.

I had replaced the existing SHORTCUT ICON tag, rather than added an additional one. DOH!

Sorry! That worked fine. Thank you!

I'm a bit disappointed that I need to replace this each time, but it works, so that's the most important thing for now.

As ever. Thanks for the great responses here.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no worries, as long as you dont change that file in RH, I never change mine because its simply a splash screen, then it wont be overwritten when  published - at least it shouldnt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp