Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display Web Page When CHM Is Loaded

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

A number of years ago, our organization created a chm help file attached to an application. Subsequently, a web help version was developed and posted on our site.

A request has been made that when the user clicks help in the application, the web version displays. Unfortunately, modifying the Help button in the application is not an option as we are not the owners of the application.

Therefore, as a work around, I would like to know if it possible to display the web help version when the user clicks the help button by modifying the chm.

My plan is create a single chm file with the identical file name as the current chm file. During the onload procdure the user is directed to the web help version.

I have tried a topic-redirect, but that does not work; I think I need to add an Onload Event in the <body> tag, but I am not sure what coding is required to make this work.

What coding is required to make this work?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Try this:

<body onLoad="window.open('http://www.mywebsite.com/my_project/')">

You might need to include the start page for the project as well, depending on how the webserver is set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

<body onLoad="window.open('http://www.mywebsite.com/my_project/')">

You might need to include the start page for the project as well, depending on how the webserver is set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2010 Jan 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amber,

Thanks for your response, the code works.

Another question, to close the CHM window automatically is the coding:

<body onLoad="window.close">

This would be placed after the opending of the Web help file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I'm at my javascript limit.

It's possible this might execute the code in order and shouldn't be too hard for you to try. Otherwise hopefully a javascript guru will jump in.

<body onLoad="window.open('http://www.mywebsite.com/my_project/');window.close">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp