• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard controls with the default playback skin

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a noob, and this seems like it should be a noob question - but I really have searched far and wide to try to find an answer... with no luck at all. Mr Captiv8r - you may be my last hope

In Captivate 4, I am using powerpoint import to create a presentation with audio, that can be sent via exe. Everything is dead simple, except one thing. I want to use the default skin for the playback controls (rather than create my own buttons to do exactly the same thing). But for those without a mouse, I want them to be able to skip forward and backward through slides using the keyboard. I would expect to just be able to use the cursor keys, but I can't seem to assign any key to move through the slides. It works fine when you point the mouse and click on the playback controls obviously. I would have thought this must be there somewhere as it is a basic accesability feature.

Is there something easy I am missing, or can Captivate really not do this without designing my own playback controls using buttons, etc?

Cheers, Andy
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009
Welcome to our community, Andy

Since the playback controls don't seem to support operating using keystrokes, I'm thinking you might wish to enhance your project by adding Click Boxes to each slide. Configure one Click Box on Slide 1 to simply "Go to next slide" and assign a shortcut key of the Right Arrow. Tuck it out of the way in a corner. Its only purpose will be to allow the user to pres the Right Arrow to advance. Then copy it and paste it across all slides.

Repeat with a second Click Bo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Andy

Since the playback controls don't seem to support operating using keystrokes, I'm thinking you might wish to enhance your project by adding Click Boxes to each slide. Configure one Click Box on Slide 1 to simply "Go to next slide" and assign a shortcut key of the Right Arrow. Tuck it out of the way in a corner. Its only purpose will be to allow the user to pres the Right Arrow to advance. Then copy it and paste it across all slides.

Repeat with a second Click Box. But this one would have an action of "Go to previous slide". Assign the Left Arrow to this one.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was an old question, but mine is the same, with a twist. I see that you say Captivate doesn't support keyboard control in the playback skin by default. But would it be workable to create a custom Flash skin that does look for and operate with keyboard commands? In particular, it would be great to enable a user to hit the forward arrow button as an option rather than clicking with the mouse. Is this feasible, or would it be a waste of time to develop?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not being a Flash programmer I cannot say how simple it might be to achieve. I might think that if you are totally familiar with Flash it would be a fairly simple task. Then again, the workaround I proposed is simple too and would take less than two minutes to achieve.

Your call... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that your solution is simple and it works, but it's a bit messy in that we'd have to add these boxes to all slides. If only click boxes had the "Display for rest of project" option.

I need to learn Flash soon anyway, and I agree that this doesn't sounds like a difficult Flash problem, so I am going to head in that direction.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Yes it seems messy at first. But hopefully you realize you can configure and place only one of the little beasties, then copy it. Select all the remaining slides in the Filmstrip or in Storyboard view, then paste in a single action.

Please don't let that dissuade you in any way from learning Flash. I've got it on my own radar to learn as well. Perhaps my third attempt will finally be the magick one that sticks and finally makes it make sense. I must be thick headed. Then again, during the second Flash class the instructor started off by saying "Flash is probably *THE* most unintuitive application you will ever try to learn."

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

You make an excellent point, and I had forgotten about the copy to multiple slides. It's better, but still not as elegant as I'd like.

I'm hopeful to pick up Flash although, like you, I have tried twice in the past and it hasn't sunk in. Maybe this time will be the charm.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick - great idea, that will certainly do the job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources