Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player active x in add-ons

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows XP Media version, IE6:

Am I suppose to see the Flashplayer Active X in the IE Add-ons , i.e. Tools Manage Add-ons? I do see the Shockwave player add-on.

If I am supposed to see this active X (which I do not), then something is wrong with my PC. Thanks, Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Mike, no not yet. Right above the "Post Message" bar. Confusing since there is another one where the search forums bar is.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mlmarg, Yes in your manage add ons you should have listed the following:

Shockwave Flash Object......Enabled............ActiveX Control........Flash10d.ocx (The "d" is for vs. 10.0.42.34 which is the latest Adobe Flash Player update.

And as you listed you will also see the Shockwave ActiveX for the Shockwave Player, which is separate and different

than Flash Player.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Eidnolb   I do see both of the objects you mentioned and both are enabled. Thanks again. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mlmarg, Thank you. Wish all problems were solved that easily! The last time we "talked" was about vs 10.0.32.18:-)

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2010 Jan 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Eidnolb. My problem still isn't solved for the websites, but I fear that only an update to IE6 to IE7 or 8 may or may not solve the problem, or it is still a security issue of some sort, or, the websites just can't find the activeX in my system. I can get around the problem on one website, but not the others. Thanks again for your help.

Mike Margrave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mlmarg, well that doesn't sound good. What I will tell you is that anytime there is any problem with Flash Player or most anything else, it is soooo much easier to solve with IE6. In my opinion the security and restrictions in IE7 & IE8 are such that they make those browsers so much more difficult to use. I know all about the holes in IE6(I will keep mine:-)

but there is one thing I know, IE6 works. I am the Administrator and I can do anything I please on my computer without Microsoft's or any other "security for my own good" restrictions. Also, on this forum, very seldom does anyone post a thread about Flash Player problems using IE6. Most of the time it is IE8, IE7 along with Vista. Vista & IE8, grrrrr. Ok rant off now:-)

At this point I think we need to check your Flash folder: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Post back everything listed there, with version #'s.

Then in Tools>Manage Add ons, list all of your add ons with version#'s and whether Enabled or Disabled.

Check in Add/Remove and list all Adobe listings, including if there is a DLM(download manager)

Thanks, this info will give us a good idea if (1) you have everything installed re:FP, (2) whether there might be any add ons that are conflicting.

Thanks mlmarg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Have all but all of the add-ons. Do not know of anyway to show you except for writing down all, which I have not done yet. Did do some screen prints, but they are not nice. I am not a PC guru, only know enough to be dangerous. I was a mainframe programmer for Amoco exploration, and for American Airlines IT which became Sabre which became EDS, Inc. which was sold to HP. Took care of the airline Sabre reservation system including Travelocity, expedia, get there, and 80 other airlines. That's my computer history, but not on PCs. Let me know if there is an easy way to show you the add-ons. If not, I'll start making the list. Thanks, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mlmarg, 🙂 on the screenshots etc. Same here, just lucky I can read and type. The only way I know other than the screen shots would be to type them on Notepad, click on File, click on Save As. When the window opens up(you'll be seeing your Desktop listings) click on the top drop down arrow and find Desktop(near the top of the list), click on that.

Down at the bottom you will see "File Name" if anything is in there, delete it and type in IE Add Ons, click Save and close.

Now that is on your Desktop.

When you finish your post with the other info, then go down to the left bottom of the page and click on browse. This will open up your Desktop, look in the list until you find the file named IE Add Ons, click on it and click on Open. Then Click on Attach Files and that should enter in the space.

You know the expression that it's easier said than done, well this was easier done than said. When you do something

automatically it is not easy to explain how it is done:-)

I hope my instructions can be followed, if not I'll know if the attachment doesn't come through!

If you already knew how to do all of this, don't tell me, just send the attachment.:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mlmarg, one other item I forgot to mention is the Java. The latest is Java 1.6.0_17 a plugin in the add ons. There is another one Java(tm) plugin 2 SSV helper that causes problems and should be disabled if it is there. Check to see what else is listed of Java in Add/Remove.

Also if you have any old Java installed, my understanding is that the websites will then ask for the latest update as they

do with Flash Player. Perhaps you might want to list the Java entries first, that could be the problem.

Thanks

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add'l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, iednolb. I am compiling the list of add-ons to get to you. I will look for the Java add-ons. I do not have the 1.6.0_17 add-on, only the 1.6.0_14 add-on. I go see about the _17 add-on and get it.

Thanks again for all of your time, help, and support.

Mike Margrave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eidnolb,

I have some more questions which I hope do not sound too crazy.

1) On at least 2 websites, one for a Dell PC Checkup, one from Mcafee for a virus scan linked to by Dell, both sites could not recognize my system of XP Pro SP2. Could some of my IE files be corrupt? The Dell support center on my PC recognizes everything.

2) Where is the location of the activeX add-ons being looked at in some of the website script code? Could it be that my add-on activeX are not being put in the right locations?

3) In the add-ons for Java, I have Java Plugin 1.6.0_01 thru 1.6.0_07, and 1.6.0_14 (will update). Should I disable all Java except the most recent plugins?

Have CA Internet security suite for anti-virus, Zonealarm , and CA_spyware and Spysweeper. Have found no spyware, virus, etc. Have not installed XP Sp3 as of yet, but wanted to correct the ActiveX and system recognition problems first. I have some updates for drivers recommended by Dell from the Dell driver center to install. Got the Dell in January, 2006.

Thanks for your help in these matters.

Mike Margrave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, 1. I don't know what the problem was with the 2 websites. You could post the links & I could check them. I use

XP/SP3/IE6 and have had no problem. What exactly was the message if you remember? I would tend to think they use Flash and that would have been the reason, not the OS or IE.

2. The exact location of the Shockwave Flash Object besides being listed in your Add Ons is also in the Flash folder.

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. For directions to get their go to this thread and look for Post #19 and then

list everything that is in your Flash Folder. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/539561?tstart=0

On the Java, before you delete or disable any Java(unless the 2 SSV helper is there, which I doubt since it is new) I

would disregard Java for the time being. I will give you the link and how to handle that, since their website is very confusing and a lot of people download and install Java programs and toolbars they don't need. There are some uninstall

issues as well, nothing easy anymore.

On the Security, Not that familiar with CA but if it is only an anti-virus and you have no other anti-virus, that should be ok.

Zone alarm- Is this a suite, or just the free firewall? I would think the CA_spyware is only that as well as Spysweeper.

Some very good advice on wanting to update to SP3- Whatever you do, do not update IE from IE6 to IE7 or IE8 PRIOR

to updating to SP3. If you don't like IE7 or IE8 you CANNOT uninstall back to a previous version of IE without UNINSTALLING the SP3 Service Pack. I hear that doing that puts Flash Player to shame. LOL A word to the wise here.

I think you are correct in getting Flash Player up and running and then the Java, etc next. On the drivers, if this Dell is from 2006, I wouldn't think that would be needed so soon, but just my opinion. Let's take one step at a time.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

I need to know what cautions I must take using a registry cleanup app. I have Eusing Free Registry cleaner and CCleaner.

Can I just let it go and do all? I have created a restore point.

Thanks, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, I read Microsoft MVP's opinion of Registry Cleaners this week, several articles in fact from an expert on them

I also ran the MS Safety Scan that did happen to have a registry cleaner included. First time one has been run on my computer and after what I read from the MS experts will be the last. Their opinion is that the risk is too great for the little benefit one would receive. The monitors on the MS Safety Scan have had reports of many system crashes and about 37 people reported that after using them.

I know many people use them, but my advice would be not to. The MS Registry expert said that starting with XP and on up the Operating Systems do not need them. Called them Snake Oil. LOL

I have also read many other MVP's opinions and they are against them also.

If there is a Registry problem that involves Flash Player, how would they know which of the 3,000 would be the correct one? That is a lot of Registry entries, huh?

Just my opinion. Also, what if the restore point doesn't work?  Many reports of that as well. You would be surprised what problems people have. I read so many forums and boards and have so many folders with info on my desktop, I would probably have something on most any of them. LOL

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, eidnolb. Once again you have proved invaluable. I will take your advice, and will get the list of add-ons to you as soon as possible. Thanks again. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, Ever since I have been on this forum I have always made it a practice to not offer any advice or actions that I would not use on my own computer. Did the same thing when I was younger and worked as a server in a restaurant, wouldn't serve it if I wouldn't eat it:-)

If you think it would be easier, I could tell you what you need in the Add ons as far as Flash is concerned. Also could tell you what should be in the Flash Folder. Then you could compare and if it is different, let me know.

Third party Toolbars, anti-virus/spyware running in realtime(in the background), a firewall, these will usually prevent a successful Install. After the Install, then the Flash Folder and the required Add ons reveal what should have installed.

Let me know if you want to do that and go ahead and to the Uninstall and Install.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's do it. I value your expertise and knowledge about IE6 and PCs. Just give me the lists. Thanks. I owe you. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for the confidence. Here is what should be listed in the Flash folder:

1. Flash10d.ocx

ActiveX Control

2. FlashUtil10d.exe

Adobe Flash Player Helper 10.0r 42

3. uninstall_activex.exe

Adobe Flash Player activex.Inst

4. install.log

text Document

Keep in mind this is for the lastest Flash Player 10.0.42.34, your "letter" where the (d) is may be different and the 10.0r42

may be as well. That letter and the 10.0r42 indicate the version#

In the Manage add ons:

Shockwave Flash Object.....ActiveX Control......Enabled......Flash10d.ocx

The Add ons: Needed and to be Enabled"

Shockwave Flash Object....ActiveX Control....Enabled.....Flash10d.ocx

Web Browser Applet (Java related) Enabled.....file: msjava.dll  ActiveX Control

Keep the Java entry 1.6.0_14 (your latest vs) Disable all others

Windows Media Player? If you have it and any other Microsoft entries-Keep Enabled

Disable all other add ons

Now keep in mind this is prep for the Uninstall/Install. You don't need to do any of this until that time.

Now I would love to do this today, but I have a family situation that I need to take care of and will not have use of my own computer. While I am doing that I will be finishing updating a laptop and installing, what else? Flash Player on their IE & Firefox browsers. If you can hold off on this until tomorrow, that would be best for me. I cannot function without my own computer for access to my files, etc. Hope you understand.

Will check in from the laptop, but not much else.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eidnolb,

Hope all is well with you and your family. I know well about family situations. Have gotten all of the screen prints of the add-ons and am documenting now. I have found that I do not have the following add-on:

*Web Browser Applet (Java related) Enabled.....file: msjava.dll ActiveX

Control*

Where can I get this add-on? Maybe this is one of my problems.

Thanks again. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for the understanding. I have all of the Java info that you will need when we finish with the Flash Player

update. Hold off on Java until then.

The Java applet is needed but after the other Java updates and installs are taken care of, until then you will have the same problem with the websites as users do with an old version of Flash Player. The requirements are the latest version of Flash Player and the latest version of Java. There is of course as you well know, an orderly process to obtain those.

One thing at a time:-)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached (finally) is a list of my add-ons. Learned how to use the Alt-Print Screen key to just screen print the active screen. Guess I'm never too old to learn. At your leisure, let me know what to do about the Add-ons. CA is my Computer Assoc Internet Security suite, a tool bar which tells the security of the site (high, low risk or secure site). Temp in Tulsa, OK is heading for 50 today. Have a good day and thanks again.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, Temp sounds nice, I think we made about 40 here in the Midwest. I'll go over the add ons and the Security again. Looks like I'm going to have another day offline in a short time. Hopefully things will get back to normal, by tomorrow.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, I checked out your security that you have installed. The CA Internet Security Suite if it is the "CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2010" is a realtime program, meaning that it is always running. It also has a Firewall and probably

disabled the Windows Firewall that comes with Windows.  No problem with that. The CA Toolbar, since it sits on your IE browser, see if you can pause it from there.

The Spysweeper appears to also have an anti-virus part to it. That is not good. You only want one Anti-virus program on your computer, since more than one will conflict. The CA-spyware is just part of the CA suite.

Zone Alarm- I don't know what of Zone Alarm you have but if it has a Firewall, which it probably does, then that is also a problem. The rule is: One Anti-Virus program, One Firewall. On the Anti-spyware you can have more than one, but they need to be compatible. I could not find a forum on CA, nor any information on how to disable it when installing software.

It could be that in the system tray by the clock there is a icon for CA and if you right click on it, should open up the program and have information about pausing, disable, each of the parts, or all of it. Also look to see if the CA Toolbar if it can't be paused from the Toolbar itself, if it can be from here.

The Spysweeper I would remove from Add/Remove and Reboot. Keep the CA Suite. If it has the Firewall in the Suite you have, then I would suggest removing the Zone Alarm if it has a Firewall.

My next post will include the information to Uninstall and Install Flash Player and the Java.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, following are the links and instructions for Uninstalling and Installing Flash Player first.

This is the Adobe Uninstaller, which you will click on Windows(your OS) and SAVE it to your Desktop.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

This is the Adobe Flash Player Installer, which you will SAVE to your Desktop.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

After you have those downloaded and SAVED to your Desktop, read over the Uninstaller info, checking your Security settings as stated. You can disregard the Custom unless you have used that setting. The first Note of this info is most

important. The second Note is of the utmost importance. If you can copy and paste and print out those 2 Notes or if not

feasible, then hand write them so you can follow them, especially the last one. Pay particular attention to the Rebooting

as this is necessary to remove the old Flash Player ActiveX version.

Before beginning the process, Go to Tools>Manage Add ons and hi-lite each one and Disable it. Be sure to use the drop

down arrow "currently loaded" and the "have been used" sections and Disable the add ons in both sections.

Next, you will disconnect from the Internet.

Disable the Firewall

Disable all Anti-Virus Security(CA Suite) I am assuming you have removed Spysweeper & Zone Alarm.

Refer to Note#1 in the Uninstall Article

Close All browsers & Click on the Uninstaller on your desktop and Click RUN

Refer to the last Note in the Uninstall Article and follow it. After running the Uninstaller the second time, Reboot.

Keeping all browsers closed, now Click on the Installer from the desktop and Click on RUN, when it is finished, Reboot Once.

Now Enable your Firewall and Enable your Anti-Virus Security(CA Suite)

Connect back to the Internet and go to this Adobe test site:http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about

Then go to Tools>Manage add ons and you should find Shockwave Flash Object....ActiveX Control.....Flash10d.ocx and it must be Enabled. Also Enable any Microsoft add ons and Java add ons. Leave any others Disabled at this time.

You can then check a website and see if it is working. You may have a problem, since we next must take care of Jave.

Let's take care of Flash Player first.

If you have any questions before or after, please post.

Thanks, Oh, this looks harder than it really is:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is Brucecollins and I have been having this prob. for over 2 months too. I was able to fix it by going to IE/tools/manage add-ons, enable shockwave. Couldn't believe that fixed it. But first, I uninstalled the program using revouninstall.com and rebooted. But u may not have to do all that, just try enabling shockwave first.

r4i software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines