• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Version control not synchronizing the rhvariable.apj and default.css

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After we had many problems with the 8.0.2 update, we managed to get a compile that was mostly correct and it buys us a couple weeks.  We are still having problems with the rhvariable.apj and the default.css files.  We had to edit the .cpd file in MS Access to get our global variables back from just before the update.  I did not want to manually enter 800+ variables again.  If my colleague edits the rhvariable file, i can't edit the file and i get an error.  If I edit the file, he can't read my file.  In order to get a compile with the variables we cut and pasted my variables into his .cpd file and it worked, but, now we are adding more variables and changing others resulting in only one of us having a working copy.  My system complained about the default .css which did not come down from the server so i just pasted his file to my directory and it is working but we are having problems editing that file also.  This is crazy.  The 8.0.2 really hurt us and is still hurting.  We are trying to run with it but having some significant problems.

Got any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Investigation revealed that an error had been introduced into the file when it was manually edited. Adobe have corrected this so the amended file should fix the problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it's something to do with the UTF-8 encoding? You could perhaps try saving copies as UTF-8 and ANSI (easily selected in Notepad) and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have any reason for thinking it, but wouldn't hurt to try.

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no point in editing the CPD, it is merely a cache of what is in other files and that is where your problem lays. Surely if you get it all working on one PC and then check it in as a new project and your colleague then takes a copy of the new project, you are both then singing off the same hymn sheet.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We thought of that too but we have done that a couple times during the crash. We may have edited these things since our last time through the fire drill. It is just painful because it takes overnight for the entire project to copy to my remote system.

Thanks Peter, we will give it one more go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2010 Jan 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just removed the working project from version control and made a new

project.  I just finished pulling that project from version control and we still have the same error accessing the rhvariable.apj file.  What is up with RH8.0.2 and version control 3.1?  Why is the project working on one system and not delivering a working package on another PC.  We have been doing this for years and this is the only time we have ever had a problem.  I am still saying that the 8.0.2 update has really had a bad impact on our project.  Now we are stuck with it and we have to sort out this problem.  If there is no one in the community that can help, we will open an incident with Adobe.  What a disaster for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2010 Jan 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can send me the rhvariable.apj file, Adobe will take a look at it to see if that reveals anything. Contact me via my site.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Investigation revealed that an error had been introduced into the file when it was manually edited. Adobe have corrected this so the amended file should fix the problem.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2010 Jan 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The editing of this file was a cut and paste of the entire contents.  The blank variable values are the result of removing the value associated with the variable due to a change in our parts system.  We kept the variable for future use with no value.  If having variables with no value is a problem for version control, then maybe the software developers should not allow a blank value!

While this is working on my local copy, we have to determine if the file will work on the other remote system which will be several hours due to time zones.  We have inserted this file in the past to get a local copy working but then it breaks the computer on the other end.  I will have them delete the .cpd file, insert the file you sent me, and then attempt to open the project from version control.  I will report the results as soon as complete.

Thanks a lot!

dv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rhvariable file from Adobe fixed our problem reading that file.  If having a variable with no value is a problem for the software, then the software needs to be changed so that this condition is not allowed.  We were also having problems adding styles to the default style sheet but I don't have time to even check that at the moment.  I suspect that this file may be corrupt also.  I need to alter some styles and try to see what my colleague was complaining about in that area.  We have some other wierd things that occur also but they are not show stoppers at this point.

Thanks again for the help, it is nice to have the project running and being able to move forward again.

dv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this test.

Create a new project and create a variable with no value. Close the project and open rhvariable.apj with a text editor. You will see nothing has been saved, the variable name will not be there.

Now open the project and enter a value. Close the project and open the rhvariable file again, now you will see the variable and the value.

This seems to confirm that RH does not allow a null value variable to be created in the rhvariable.apj file. It may show it in the interface but that was not the problem.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp