Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link in Webhelp to open sub-TOC tree of a 'Book with Link'

Participant ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 HTML

Hi all, hoping I can find a solution for this.

Currently, and as it should, I link to a page in my webhelp, from within my webhelp. i.e front page has a link that refers to another section in the webhelp. The links work fine, these links however are going to the 'book' (I created the TOC books to be books with links) and within these books are other topics.#

Is there a way to make it so that when the user clicks a link that goes to one of these 'books' in the TOC, that the toc tree also drops down.

example (hard to explain)

TOC

Home (contains link that user clicks which goes to Page 1)

Page 1 (book with link)

sub-page1 (remains closed until user opens it by clicking 'Page 1' book)

subpage 2 (remains closed until user opens it by clicking 'Page 1' book)

I would like those sub-pages to be opened when the link is clicked. Can it be done?

Thanks, hope its clear....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, you want the TOC to synchronize once a user jumps to a topic trough a hyperlink.

In the Generate dialog, check Synchronize Table of Contents and select Automatically. This will let the TOC synchronize when a user opens another topic. I hope this is what you meant.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Na, I already had that selected when generating. What I want is to go one step further than that, currently when you click a link it will go to that section in the help, and the TOC will load appropriately so you can see where you are. But because there are topics within that book the user doesnt see them until they physically click it and it opens the group up.

what I want it to do is this like this, a click a link that sends me to book1, book1 opens, and aswell the toc expands to show the other contents in that section. like this:

[-]book1

[-]subbook1

topic    

topic

topic

however, what happens is that I click the link, and book1 is displayed, but it is closed, I cant see the other topics within it, not until I actually click it myself.

[+]book1

The rest of the topics, subbooks1 etc wont open or be visiable in the TOC until the user physically clicks book1 to force the TOC to expand. Can a link be made to do this? or even set a book to open entirely when it is click so all content is displayed?

hope thats kinda clear....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe only with some post-production JavaSc

ript, but I have no clue about how, and never pursued it. O

ur workaround is to list the topics in a table in each of those "book" topics.

Good luck,

Leon

By the way, is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing unwanted line breaks when typing in this forum? What you see above is how the forum mangled what I was typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

For what it's worth, Leon's suggestion is what I too would recommend. When I facilitate a RoboHelp class and am discussing the "Book with link" feature, I typically will suggest that this approach is used.

@Leon - I think this changed with a recent forum upgrade. Annoying, isn't it?

Standard definiton of any upgrade: Uninstall old bugs. Install new ones.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a problem on and off for a few months...

javascript:;

javascript:;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2010 Jan 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr

I'm not seeing the connection between this thread and those posts.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2010 Jan 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, it was the end of a very loooong week. I was commenting on the random carriage returns appearing in posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp