• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is RoboHelp compatible with 64-bit Windows 7?

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with RoboHelp/RoboSource (posted about elsewhere in the forum) and in response to a support query, I received a message stating that RoboHelp is not compatible with 64-bit Windows 7.

Quoting: "Please ensure that Windows 7 is not 64 bit, as RoboHelp is not compatible."

This seems to be in conflict with the blog posting by Ankur Jain, Product Manager - RoboHelp, (http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2009/12/adobe_robohelp_8_now_supports_windows_7_also.html) in which he states "I'm pleased to inform you that Adobe RoboHelp 8 now also supports Windows 7. With this, RoboHelp 8 is now compatible with Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7."

Now, Mr. Jain doesn't specify 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7, but considering the detail in his posting regarding service packs, I'd expect that a blanket statement like RH is compatible with Win 7 would mean both 32-bit and 64-bit, unless otherwise stated.

Some questions:

1) Is RH compatible with 64-bit Win 7 or not?

2) What about RoboSource? Is it compatible with Windows 7? If so, which versions? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also, the tech person said that we also need to try running RoboHelp in "simplified mode." What exactly is that?

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me on Windows 7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not 100% sure, but "Simplified" mode may mean that you need to configure it to run as an administrator? I think you configure this in the shortcut properties. Many apps are that way.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I'm wondering if the "Simplified" bit is stemming from this Adobe Knowledge Base article?

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to the article. I was wondering the same thing and tried this earlier in the afternoon. As it turns out, Windows 7 does not permit installs while in Safe Mode, so this technote isn't compatible with Win 7.

BTW, I checked admin mode for the two apps and RoboHelp can be run in admin mode but RoboSource cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy,

Are you perchance running RoboSource, as well, or just RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specifically bought RoboHelp 8 to run on my new Vista laptop. I thought it worked but as soon as I got started on a real project, it hung repeatedly. Surprises me, as isn't RoboHelp part of this Technical Communication Suite, which has the following quote in its online guide:

"Better performance with large images   Work faster with large images by taking advantage of additional  RAM. (Requires a 64-bit computer with a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows Vista)."

To me, this would imply an encouragement to work with 64-bit Vista.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same problem if you work with one of the supplied sample projects?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I'll have to check that. I was in such a rush to get my project up and

running that I loaded it onto my old XP machine (where it works just fine,

albeit slowly). The interesting thing was that the crashing didn't happen

right away; I was able to do some basic navigation stuff, but creating new

topics (can't remember if it was the first topic I created or the second,

third, fourth, etc.) made it crash.

I'll check more into the sample project when I get a chance; thanks for the

tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonder if that might be as simple as renaming the CPD and then reopening the project so that RH creates a new file?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried one of the sample projects and clicked around and added a new topic,

etc. Couldn't get it to crash. Then I opened my original project, the

one-topic project that crashed repeatedly before. After clicking around for

awhile in my project, it crashed.

Then I took your suggestion of renaming the CPD file and opening my project

again. I have been clicking around in it now and haven't been able to get it

to crash yet, so that might be good news?

(Any idea what might have happened with the original CPD file - e.g., did it

corrupt itself somehow?)

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2010 Mar 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The CPD is always subject to corruption but RH is designed so that it can be trashed. See Opening Projects on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp