• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Autosuggest with bind to cfc only displaying every 2nd character

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems a bit strange. As I enter text (even slowly) the autosuggest only seems to display after every 2nd character entered.

You can view the problem at http://karaoke.com.au in the search fields. It occurs in all 3 search entry fields (Disc, Title and Artist) In addition, as you remove characters, the autosuggset doesn't always update either?

Any autosuggestions anyone?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see what you're seeing.  It all seems fine to me (tested in IE8 and FF3).  Did you fix it?

It always helps when you have a problem if you post some code which replicates the problem, so anyone trying to help can either eyeball it for obvious mistakes, or run it locally.  Not necessarily your production code, but a simple test case that demonstrates the issue.  This also help you track down what the problem might be.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. I'm a bit surprised that you are getting the correct result there? I tested in IE8 and FF3 as well.

As you type in a title, say, "To all the girls I've loved before" as you type the "T" I'm expecting the autosuggest to start suggesting my top 20 of titles beginning with "T" but, what I see is the little ajax loading spinner and then nothing until after I type in the next 2 characters when all of a sudden, I get the autosuggest. Having got the autosuggest displayed once, when I start deleting characters, I tend to get the expected behaviour as I go back one character at a time. Please note that no matter how slow I go, I still get these symptoms???

Anyway here's my code for the form:

<div class="search_element">
    <label for="disc">Disc</label><br />
    <cfinput style="width:60px;height:16px;" name="disc" value="#request.search.songs.disc#" autosuggest="cfc:karaoke.com.auto_suggest.find_disc({cfautosuggestvalue})" autosuggestminlength="1" maxresultsdisplayed="20">
  </div>
    <label for="disc">Title</label><br />
    <cfinput style="width:130px;height:16px;" name="title" value="#request.search.songs.title#" autosuggest="cfc:karaoke.com.auto_suggest.find_title({cfautosuggestvalue})" autosuggestminlength="1" maxresultsdisplayed="20"></cfinput>
  </div>
    <label for="disc">Artist</label><br />
    <cfinput style="width:130px;height:16px;" name="artist" value="#request.search.songs.artist#" autosuggest="cfc:karaoke.com.auto_suggest.find_artist({cfautosuggestvalue})" autosuggestminlength="1" maxresultsdisplayed="20"></cfinput>
  </div>

And here's the CFC:

<cfcomponent output="true">

<cffunction name="find_disc" access="remote" returntype="string">
          <cfargument name="search" type="any" required="false" default="">
          <!--- Query discs --->
          <cfquery name="results" datasource="#dsn#" maxrows="20" >
             select   distinct     discs.disc
              from        discs
              where        disc like '#arguments.search#%'
              order by    disc
          </cfquery>

<!--- And return it as a List --->
          <cfreturn  valueList(results.disc) >
      </cffunction>

<cffunction name="find_title" access="remote" returntype="string">
          <!--- Query discs --->
             select   distinct     discs.title
              from        discs
              where        title like '#arguments.search#%'
              order by    title
          </cfquery>

<cfreturn  valueList(results.title) >
      </cffunction>

<!--- Lookup used for auto suggest --->
        <cffunction name="find_artist" access="remote" returntype="string">

<!--- Query discs --->
             select   distinct     discs.artist
              from        discs
              where       artist like '#arguments.search#%'
              order by    artist
          </cfquery>

<cfreturn  valueList(results.artist) >
      </cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it last night with FF3 and did not see that behavior either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you for your assistance. I'm still seeing the prob both locally and remotely.   I cant see that a browser setting could influence it, so other than that I'm a bit lost.so unless someone else raises it with me, I'll probably just leave as is. Thanks again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold the bus, an (off forum) friend of mine has tested and got the following:

"I am getting strange results like enter s nothing, enter st nothing, enter str nothing, enter stra - get drop down of titles starting with stra, enter s - get drop down of titles starting with stra, enter x get nothing, enter xa get drop down of titles starting with xa

Seems inconsistent, especially later test with x."

So, anyone else know anything. I know it's hard to fix the prob if you cant see it, but two of us see it now. Anyone??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cfquery name="results" datasource="#dsn#" maxrows="20"

Use your database's operators to limit the number of records returned (not "maxrows). The syntax varies by database type, but for MS SQL use the TOP operator. For MySQL use LIMIT, etcetera...

select   distinct     discs.artist from  discs

select   distinct     discs.title from discs

You should really consider redesigning your tables. Storing "artist" and "title" information all in the same table, is not a good structure. For one thing, it can lead to poor query performance, because queries must use DISTINCT to eliminate the duplicate data. Performance issues will become more noticible the larger the table grows. I suspect this is at least partially responsible for some of the sluggishness I noticed earlier ..

A better structure would be to store the distinct "Artists" in one table and album "Titles" in another. If albums can be related to more than one artist, create a third table to store the relationships. That will eliminate the redundancies, and the need to use DISTINCT. (Well .. maybe. ) But the important part is that Artist _name_ should not be stored with the album "Titles". Just the unique RecordID for the artist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation