Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Linking RoboHelp7 into VS2005 project

Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to Link RoboHelp7 into my Visual Studio 2005 project (VC++) and I get errors.

I have added "wininet.lib; urlmon.lib; htmlhelp.lib" to my Additional Dependencies in the Linker section of the Project Settings and yet this is the error when I try to compile:-

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'wininet.lib;'

Is there another setting that I need to change in the Linker so that it can find the file, or do I need to download the files from somewhere?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks, Ali

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ali

We are technical authors here, not developers. If you could explain what you are trying to do in English rather than developer speak, maybe we can help you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I obviously have the wrong forum.  I am having trouble finding the right place to ask this question, any suggestions?

Thanks, Ali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might not be the wrong place. Might be able to answer if we know what you are trying to do. Are you linking a RH output to something you are doing in VS?

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have written a program in C++, in the programming environment Visual Studio 2005.  I need to add the C code supplied for RoboHelp, that is the cpp and h files, and compile then link the whole thing together into the final program.  Then when my the guy that writes the help using RoboHelp, and gives me the help file/files I can call the correct bits from my code.

I have added the 2 files to my project and it does now find wininet.lib when it tries to link.  The problem was that I had ;'s between the filenames,  It should just have been 'WinInet.lib urlmon.lib htmlhelp.lib' .

However, it still does not link properly, it now says:-

>uuid.lib(oledbiid.obj) : fatal error LNK1103: debugging information corrupt; recompile module

That module is not part of my project, so how I can recompile it I don't know.  I shall look into it further.  There doesn't seem to be much help for adding RoboHelp to programs.

Any suggestions always gratefully received,

Alsion Pentland (frustrated programmer! )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ali

That is definitely a question for a developer forum. Until this post I wasn't quite sure if you were somehow trying to run RH from within VS or something like that. In fact, it seems "all" you are trying to do is call some help that a colleague has created with RoboHelp.

There is some information in RH's own help that may help. Also there are some pages on my site about calling help. I don't know if they will be technical enough for your needs.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  You are right! "All" I am  trying to do is call some help that a colleague has created, I thought it would have been easy!  In fact like most things it is, once you know how!

I have got it working (after much head scratching - partly because when you search for help on RoboHelp you get help on how to use it not developer help, and partly because of my inexperience in calling 3rd party functions) , happy days.

Anyway, thanks again at least for the moral support.  But I have one more question which I think that you being an experienced user of RoboHelp might be able to answer. 

In our project the user can access the help in 2 ways.  They can use a <Help> option on the main menu which brings up  the 'main help' with a Table of Contents and Search etc.  Or they can press <Help> in various dialogue boxes which using the 'map ID' brings up the help for the relevant topic ie Context Sensitive help.  The only problem I have left is that the user selects the 'main help' with the Table of Contents etc, then after that the Context Sensitive help no longer jumps to the right place, the help window remains displaying the TOC.  If the user shuts the help window then tries the Context Sensitive help it is OK again.  

My question is, is this normal, is this is what it is meant to do?

Many Thanks for helping a VC++ programmer lost in the land of RoboHelp!

Ali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open the help outside of your application.Use the links between topics and generally browse around the help. Does the TOC stay synchronised? That will determine whether your author has set the help to auto sync, you can also ask them that.

If that works OK, then I think the ball is back in your court as to why it does not work from the application.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp