Exit

Adding a 'sort by' option to table data in webhelp output

Participant ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 HTML

Hi all,

Just wondering (again) if its possible to add a sort feature to a table?

currently, I've got multiple topics that look like the following. They are a breakdown of all fields/buttons and their functions

field name
descriptionexample
customer iddescription of fieldexample data to be entered
namedescription of fieldexample data to be entered
customer order nodescription of fieldexample data to be entered
job titledescription of fieldexample data to be entered

this is the order that the fields appear on the user form, I'm wondering if I could add a 'Sort By A-Z' and 'Sort by Appearance' options so the user can view the fields, descriptions, and examples either by the order it appears, or in alphabetical order - all the while the description and example fields moving with the sort.

Just gives a bit more functionality for users so they can find a field quickly if the list is a bit bigger by using an alpha sort

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are several scripts available for this. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/tables/tables.htm

Check before you choose a script. One of the script goes awry if you have dropdowns in your table.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, just what I was looking for, hope I can use these with snippets.

time for some testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works perfectly.

BUT.

for some reason, across all browsers, I dont get the Hand icon on the mouse over, instead I get the text selecter icon. On Peters site, the hand displays, however I cant get it to work.

also another query - is it possible to set the list to 'sort' back to its default unsorted listing/view?

any ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Normally, the browser shows a pointer over a hyperlink. You might have the script set up slightly different than Peter.

A quick fix is as following:

Identify the element you want to see a pointer, probably something like TableHeading. In your css, add:

P.TableHeading

Be carefull with this, it may confuse people if they see a mouse cursor they don't expect. Your best bet is still to figure out if you have set the script up exactly as described on Peter's page.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this in the .hotspot definition.

cursor: pointer; cursor: hand;}
/* pointer is required for mozilla browsers and must be first. hand is for IE.    */

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be complete,

is a Microsoft standard and only needed if you support IE 5.5 or 5.0

IE version 6 and up support the css standard

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just cursor: pointer; is required?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you only support IE6 and up, you only need cursor: pointer. The full list with possible styles: http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_class_cursor.asp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp