• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 conversion (bullet images and numbered lists are different)

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 8.0.2.208

Conversion of 1200 htm files.

Has anyone experience bullet images in their custom styles changing from RH7 to RH8 and numbers in numbered lists resized?

Bullets

I noticed that all my bullet images have changed. They are OK in Design view, but change when the topics are previewed and generated.

• For example, if the style used a small square bullet image, it was changed to the bullet used at the beginning of this sentence.

If I attempt to create a new bullet list in the existing topic using the Normal style (Arial 12)  and Formatting Toolbar (Bullets), the bullet and text are changed to (Arial 10) and the style name changes to (none) in Design view. Preview and generated is also Arial 10 for both.

Numbered Lists

Most of the existing converted topics used the Normal style and Formatting Toolbar (Numbers) for numbered lists. There is spacing between each numbered line. The numbers and text are in (Arial 12) in Design view, but the numbers are (Arial 10) when the topics are previewed and generated and the text remains (Arial 12).

If I select the numbered list, click the numbered list icon to turn off numbering, and then click to turn on numbering, the numbers and text are (Arial 10) and the style is changed to (none). Output and preview are (Arial 10). The spacing between the numbered items is deleted.

I have to then highlight that list and change the style back to Normal for (Arial 12) text.

If I attempt to create a new numbered list in the existing topic using the Normal style (Arial 12)  and Formatting Toolbar (Bullets), the bullet and text are changed to (Arial 10) and the style name changes to (none) in Design view. Preview and generated is also Arial 10 for both.

This has taken up a lot of my time. Any clues?

Donna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The RH conversion gave a lot of problems with lists. The problem is most likely the definition of your lists in your style sheet. To set the correct font-size of the bullets/numbers, add a generic style in your CSS. You want them to be Arial 12pt, so in your CSS (with an external editor), look for OL and UL. In both style definitions, add:

font-family: Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 12pt;

and remove any other font-size that is specified.

That you see the lists in 10pt, is most likely cause by a parent style that sets the font to 10pt. In your css, look for BODY {} and you may see a font size specified there.

(I thought that you can also set the list font-size trough the Robo CSS editor, but I don't remember how :-s I haven't got RH8 right now, but I can take a look tonight if you like.)

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

I'll try your suggestion today.

I had not seen any posts regarding the specific issue that I am having, It's good, in a sense, to know that it is part of conversion issues.

Yes, I would like to know how to set the font list using the Robo CSS editor.

Thanks

DM

Message was edited by: Captiv8r - Corrected spelling of Willam's name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can only set the list font-size for list item classes (li), not for all lists at once. I thought it could do more, but I'm mistaken. This probably doesn't help your conversion, so you may want to paste the code

UL, OL {font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }

in your style sheet. If your list items already have classes (In html-view the code should be like
    , you can also style these li classes through the Robo CSS editor. In the Robo CSS editor, go to lists and choose a list style. You can style this any way you like, see also http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/rh8_lists.htm if you want to use images for bullets.

You apply this style by creating a list and setting the list via the right click menu. You have to set the list style for every list-item you created.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the link you provided.I am still confused as to the step by step procedure to fix my custom bullet style that is used throughout my project. Can you globally fix this issue? It would be too time consuming to figure out where in 1200 topics this style is used. I guess I don't understand list styles.

Custom Style = BulletList

stylebox.png

My custom (BulletList) style -  Design mode:

bulletlist.png

Preview mode (incorrect)

bulletlist_previewmode.png

Another topic using ths sam (BulletList) style - Preview mode (incorrect should be square bullets)

bulletlist2.png

I select Format > Styles in design mode. Right-click on BulletList, select Edit.

formatstyles.png

stylesbox.png

If I ceate a bulleted list, the square bullet is selected.

bulletsnumbers.png

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,
    Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In RH8, the way you lists work, and the way you apply a list changed. To create a list, use the list button and then select a paragraph. See http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/lists/list_item_styles.php for setting up a RH8 list and using it.

As for you solution, it depends on how you set up your lists in RH7. If you post an example topic and your style sheet, I'll look for a solution.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

Thank you for your time. Should I attach my css file and my sample htm topic?

Donna

Message was edited by: Captiv8r - Corrected spelling of Willam's name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

Not sure if this can be fixed globally. Sometimes the writer used bullets within a numbered list. Attached are two files and the css. Different previewed output on each.

Thanks

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,
    Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As far as I can tell from your files, you need to create two list styles: Li.p and Li.p-BulletList. In RH, simply create a list style named "p" and a list style named "p-BulletedList". That should solve most of your problems, if your writers use the paragraph styles in lists consistent.

When the regular paragraph is used in either ordered and unordered lists, you will have to create different stylings. First, create a list style "p", open your CSS in an external editor and look for Li.p. Put OL before Li.p to style ordered lists, such as:

OL Li.p { styles } /*Ordered lists*/

UL Li.p { styles } /*Unordered lists*/

Hope this helps.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

William,

Thanks for offering a solution. I will try it one day this week.

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Resources
    RoboHelp Documentation
    Download Adobe RoboHelp