Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illegal Characters Newly found in RH8 Project

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need some help. I opened my RH7 project in RH8 for the first time, and received error messages complaining of file names having illegal characters and I am unable to import ANYTHING (Master pages, images, HTML files, etc.) because the items have illegal characters.

Let me say that I've never had problems like this using RH7, in fact, I believe I initially created the project using RH6. In any case, I read a similar thread on this forum and decided that perhaps my Project Title and Project Name are invalid, since they both have apostrophes ("XX YY User's Guide"). So, I renamed them (using RH8, of course) to "XX YY User Guide" and now, things are VERY SCREWED UP. I've attached the dialog box that I now receive, it's cycling through every single topic in my project (~50 topics), and I'm getting tired of clicking OK.

Is there any quick fix for this problem, or do I need to just start anew?

Using: RH8, Windows XP.

Images/Topics/Master Pages: Names have underscores, but I believe those are legal; never had an issue before migrating to RH8. No spaces or other illegal characters.

Thank you...any help would be appreciated. I've never come across this problem before, even with the apostrophes in the Project Title/Name.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it will make any difference but I would apply the two RH8 patches and then try upgrading again.

If that makes no difference, is it a project you can share? If it is, how big is a zip of it?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what my esteemed colleague Peter offered, I'll add this.

The image shows that you have an apostrophe present. Perhaps try renaming things so the apostrophe isn't present?

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had some issues with the AIR search involving some illegal characters also. The RH8 search is rather picky.

I agree with Peter that you should make sure you have the RH8.01 and 02 patches in place.

But since the root cause of the problem is the illegal characters in the RH7 project, if I were you I's go there and make all the changes BEFORE trying to import anything.

If  any of the RH7 folder names have the illegal characters. the imports will not work.

Hope that helps

Ciao

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

The problem was indeed that apostrophe in the name of one of my subfolders, not an actual file name. So, I just created a brand new project (sans apostrophes) and imported my HTML files into it with no problems.

Now, I know...RH8 seems more sensitive to special characters than RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp