• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to sign a W9 form

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a W9 tax form to complete. I was able to highlight all the fields with the Highlight Fields button. I believe I have created a proper signature under Advanced=Security Settings. When I click on Advanced=Sign & Certify, I only am able to "Preview" the document. What am I doing wrong? Using v. 8.1.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Go ahead and resave as Acrobat PDF Most Likely it was written using an application from Adobe, only available on PC That creates XML Based Forms.

It will then be saved as a Regular PDF. Then you can create a Form using the Forms Wizard. In the past as a Treasurer of an Association I've had to fill out a w-9 and I've downloaded it from the IRS.

Try this version attached:

Its public record posted on IRS website. The only thing is I have just resaved on my Mac in Acrobat 9.0.3 no chages to content was

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF you created the form go to advanced menu and choose Extend Features in Reader. Also check advanced Security and see how you have setting their. If you know the pasword you can change. Not if this is an XML Based form designed on a PC the only way you can work on it is re-save it as a regular PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Phillip. I did not create the form. A client sent it to me. I suspect it was from the IRS and forwarded to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go ahead and resave as Acrobat PDF Most Likely it was written using an application from Adobe, only available on PC That creates XML Based Forms.

It will then be saved as a Regular PDF. Then you can create a Form using the Forms Wizard. In the past as a Treasurer of an Association I've had to fill out a w-9 and I've downloaded it from the IRS.

Try this version attached:

Its public record posted on IRS website. The only thing is I have just resaved on my Mac in Acrobat 9.0.3 no chages to content was made. If you want to you can verify this to your customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. However when I try to run my re-saved version through the Forms=Create New Form function, I get this error "The selected PDF file is already a form. Please select a different file."

I opened your attached w9 and still cannot sign it. Same greyed out fields under Advanced=Sign and Certify.

It seems like I'm missing a step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Field is not Fillable.

I tried all the fields and the only one that doesn't fill out is the signature field which wouldn't be unless you have a copy of your signature save as an image.

Does a Purple Bar show just above the form indicating its a Form?

What version of Acrobat?

what version of Acrobat, if Version 6 is it standard or Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Right. All the fields are fillable (with a purple bar) except Part II Certification: "Sign Here: Signature of US Person"

I wanted to put a signature or digital ID(?) on the document instead of the old-fashioned print out or rasterize in Photoshop method.

I created a "Digital ID", which I thought could be placed on the document somewhere. I can swear that I had put a digital ID with signature on another document a few years ago. It seems I'm very ignorant of the process here.

Using Mac Acrobat Professional 8.1.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's easy to fix.

Open The W9 (either orginal or one I sent.

go to Forms menu > choose add or Edit.

1. At top Corner and choose Text or Digital signature
  2. once selected drag to position (there may be some vertical and Horzontal Cross Hairs)
  3. once position is right releas Mous Button
  4. give field name and click on properties. choose desired Properties.
  5. click okay after propties set.
  6. now click on right side so and drag arrow shows.
  7. Drag to right to size to end of signature line.
  8. get out of Forms edit and try.

If you can't figure out I will create on one I have and post.

Just figured out your problem its been saved to use with Reader. Go to File menu and choose Save a Copy First That removes Reader Usage rights. The you can edit. as above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, saving as a copy unlocked it and your directions were easy to implement. I thought that's what I did a few years ago. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad we got it figured out. Make sure whether you can use a digtal or not Signature as Graffiti suggested. Then be sure to go back to advanced menu and click usage rights for reader so that you can emall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep just emailed it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glade everything worked out now keep a copy on file in case you have to send another to someone else. Good luck on your future ventures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to see if they will accept a digital ID.

At our agency, if we don't add a signature field, it's because we don't except them for that particular form. If you sent one to us, we would send it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His Problem is that its saved with Usage right for Reader. He needs to save a Copy. to remove rights then he can edit. But he needs to re add the Usage rights so he can email it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines