15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 7:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Opening archived files

greenman1234567

I am using elements 7. I Archived a project to a external hardrive. When I try and open on my other computer i get a message saying there was is serious error and program must shut down.

Any advise?

• 1. Re: Opening archived files
          nealeh Level 5

Hello Greenman, welcome to the forum

More detail is needed:

• Does the project still open and play on the original machine?
          • Have you ever created projects on the other machine and, if so, does it still do so?
          • What are the specifications of the two machines?
          • Are both machines fully updated (windows update, quicktime, graphics drivers, sound drivers)?
          • Does the second machine have all the codecs that exist on the original machine?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Opening archived files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not recall anyone having an issue, when opening an archived Project. I wonder if it's an issue with the archived Project or something else cropping up.

As a test, look over the tips in this ARTICLE. I use them to get my computer ready for an editing session. As there could be many different reasons of this fatal error, and most beyond just the fact that you are opening an archived Project, maybe you can address those first, and narrow things down to the archived Project, if that is the cause.

Also, note that things like a HDD, that has filled up, since you archived that Project, can have a major impact on opening a larger Project (or even working on one, that has not been archived).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Opening archived files
              greenman1234567 Level 1

Thanks, I will check it out.. What is a HDD?

• 4. Re: Opening archived files
                greenman1234567 Level 1

Thanks I will check it out.

• 5. Re: Opening archived files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry about the jargon. HDD = Hard Disk Drive.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Opening archived files
                    greenman1234567 Level 1

Ok, computer #1 is a gateway 64bit running vista, computer #2 is a HP laptop

running vista. Both are updated. I just tried opening archived project from

#1 to #2 got the error again. Bothe are dual core with plenty of memory and

storage, under a year old.

Archived a project from #2 and tried opening on computer #1 it will open

without the error but wants me to find all the video and pics again which is

why I thought archive was for so I dont have to find the media again. The

project I archived from #1 will open on #1 but again the video is not there

and it did not even ask me if I wanted to find it, just opens with chineese

writing where the missing video was.

I was wondering if I need to render b4 archiving? What is a codecs, I have

not checked that part yet.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Opening archived files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, I just did an Archive (Only Assets Used) of an un-Rendered Project. I placed it on another HDD, so that the original Assets were not available there. This "Archived" Project opened perfectly, with no need to locate the Assets - they were included. Everything worked for me, as I had anticipated. This was on PrE 4, on a 3x HDD laptop.

I'm not coming up with any reason for the behavior that you are encountering - sorry.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Opening archived files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

CODEC's are the encode/decode modules, used to play, encode and edit an AV file. This ARTICLE will give you much more detail on them.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Opening archived files
                          greenman1234567 Level 1

I went through the clean, lean list you sent me and disabled some of the start up programs. I did have a question about how do I bump up the priority of the elements.exe to high like the two related comments suggested, do you know? Thanks, very much

• 11. Re: Opening archived files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never altered the priority for PrE, so cannot comment. I thought that there might be something in the FAQ entries (to the right of the main forum screen), but could not find the steps. I do recall several such entries in various threads, but have not had luck locating those. If I do, I will post links.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Opening archived files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

See Ed Macke's reply #5 in this THREAD. Maybe that will help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Opening archived files
                                greenman1234567 Level 1

Still having the problem... is it possible the User Profile on the two machines is having a conflict? Would a Network Group overcome this?

When I try to access a file not in the "Public" folder of the Network I sometimes have gotten a Log In box with User Name and password in it.  That box only accepts User Names registered to the local computer.  I can access the media and public folder files only.  That I see is a security consideration but where or how do I get the two systems to accept an Administrator Account from each other?  Somehow that feels like the 'switch' thats kicking out the fatal flaw...

Have checked the codecs and they are the same and current on each machine,

thanks again for any suggestions

• 14. Re: Opening archived files
                                  nealeh Level 5

greenman1234567 wrote:

how do I get the two systems to accept an Administrator Account from each other?

You will need to add accounts in the folder security tab. Or, if yours is a private network and you wish everyone to have access, add 'everyone' to the folder permissions.

Check your systems help and the internet for details on this procedure. To get you started:

RightClick a folder, select the security tab and click Edit:

sec1.jpg

Select add:

sec2.jpg

Add new authorisations (click "examples" for info):

sec3.jpg

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 15. Re: Opening archived files
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Am I correct that you are accessing these files over a network? I had not picked up on that earlier.

What happens when you copy the entire folder structure to the internal HDD's, and access them on that machine?

I store archived Projects and Assets on my NAS. However, when working with those, I will copy the full structure to one of my internal HDD's, or to a FW-800 external. USB externals can be troublesome, and I found that FW-400 is just too slow for me to edit to/from, but did not exhibit the problems that USB's did.

If that is what you're doing, then I apologize for not understanding the actual process.

Good luck,

Hunt