Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

arrow keys not working in illustartor

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on Illustrator on Mac 10.5.8 and I use a lot the arrow keys(page up,page down) with combination with shift, but suddenly they stop working,that happens only in illustrator,if i want to use them to scroll on a web page they work fine.

so i was wondering what happend,and how can i fix that?

Thanks!!

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

I just looked in Google for the answer to this too.  I tried to nudge an object and nothing happened.  Well my problem was in Preferences - General - Keyboard Increment had somehow been set to zero.  I put in 1 px and it's back to normal now  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

ItsRainingRobots  schrieb

Alright- it took four re-starts, but now it's okay? This is ridiculous.

Other software interferes with it.

Also: when you don't restart your computer for several days or even weeks, it will utimately mess itself up completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several programs that can interfere with the use of the shift key and several other keys, like certain versions of Entourage and Quicken.

but the arrow keys I do not recall being an issue.

What you can try is to go to Users/Username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator (version number) Settings folder and thras that folder first quitting Ilustrator.

Or if that is not working see if you create a new user account and log into that aaccount and see if the problem still exist if not then there is probably a conflict of somekind you will do best then to do a search on the forum or google for Arrow keys do not work in your version of Illustrator

youy should always give more information lkike what version of AI or if you have plug ins or installed new fonts or plug ins or other software or updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked in Google for the answer to this too.  I tried to nudge an object and nothing happened.  Well my problem was in Preferences - General - Keyboard Increment had somehow been set to zero.  I put in 1 px and it's back to normal now  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much your solution for arrow keys not working did the trick. The apple store meant well and they are usually awesome but misinformed me in one to one saying my computer did not have the capacity to make the arrow keys work. I tried the solutions suggested from several posts including command alt shift at opening of Illustrator to command P + R . None of those solutions worked. Your solution did. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A savior

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

obrigada

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU. THIS WORKED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the solution. This was the answer for anyone looking. My increment had changed to 0.00000025 in and was not noticeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I've been stumped on fixing this for ages! Sooo helpful 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man thanks a lot, its works well !! now I understood how to increase and decrease the value!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks soo much........that was driving me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! This is the answer and works for me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh this worked, thank you! My increment was set to 0.00001 pt. I thought I was going crazy, because I felt like I was seeing an optical illusion of slight movement! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks lods

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I this does not work than go Edit> Preferences>General and click reset your preferences...  before doing this kindly save your current work ..... as the illustrator will close the window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just oww! Thank you so much. it is working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man youre a GOD xD 
thanks for sharing this ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me after updating software on mac and my Increment wasn't set to 0. I changed it back anf forth and it didn't help antil I restarted illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have this same problem since my last update in Illustrator CC. Objects won't move anymore when using my arrow cursors. In my settings, it seems that all is ok, but it won't move. Does anybody know of any other setting i could check? In the other Adobe apps, i don't have this problem. My arrows are working in Indesign & Photshop, just not in illustrator.

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it was actually resolved with the latest update, so my illustrator is working fine now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so mush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines