6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2010 2:35 AM by Thommasc RSS

FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!

vinayak.kadam Community Member

Hello all,

I would like to know if its possible to write into text file or database (like SQL Lite) using FlashLite 2.1 on WM. I am aware of the fact that FlashLite on its own cannot do this, but I do not want to use any third party utility, instead I would like to develop one of my own which can help me to update text file or database on WM.

I am open to learn/use any technology which may help me to develop sme kind of script/code to transfer data between FlashLite and text files or mobile databases. At the first place I would like to know if this is actually possible.

Note: My requirement is in context of standalone versions of Flash (may be embedded in browser) but without server side scripting.

Thanks a lot for your kind consideration!

As ever,

Vinayak Kadam

• 1. Re: FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!
          Thommasc Community Member

Janus-Flash allowed to write data in a text file from Flash Lite 2.1 on Windows Mobile.

It also allowed to use SQL Lite ... somehow ... I never tried ...

Unfortunately, Janus-Flash is down.

Right now there is no way to do so using only Flash Lite 2.1.

You can use Shared Object to store data on the mobile phone.

You should wait for Flash Player 10.1 to be able to handle your problem on Windows Mobile phones...

• 2. Re: FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!

Ya I am aware about the Janus-Flash solution, but thats a paid service and requires DOT.NET framework to be installed on mobile devices......well thats not an issue but I wud like to create something of my own which I can customize the way I want it. Frankly speaking I wud like to know how Janus guys have done this using DOT NET and there may be other ways to do it using JAVA, C++ etc....

In between, u said something about Flash Player 10.1 ....do you mean that it will allow me to update text files and write to SQL databases on mobile devices ?

As ever,

Vinayak Kadam

• 3. Re: FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!

"Frankly speaking I wud like to know how Janus guys have done this using DOT NET and there may be other ways to do it using JAVA, C++ etc...."

It's pretty easy.

The dotnet executable runs a small server and sends data through XML socket.

Flash Lite is listening to the XML socket to send/get data to dotnet.

And you can do all the low level stuff using dotnet.

"In between, u said something about Flash Player 10.1 ....do you mean that it will allow me to update text files and write to SQL databases on mobile devices ?"

Yeah, in fact, I don't know. I haven't seen any documentation about it yet.

However, I do know they will bring AIR (desktop access) to extend FP10.1 and allow some OS access like writing files for example...

As for the date of the release, it remains unknown.

• 4. Re: FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!

Hey Thommas,

Thanx once again for your reply! What you said does makes a lot of logic! Can I request you to please upload any sample code (if u have it) which can help me to speed up my development Or provide me a link to any such tutorial?

And lets hope Flash 10 with AIR will help us make things pretty easy!

Thanks for kind consideration once again!

As ever,

Vinayak Kadam

• 5. Re: FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!

"Can I request you to please upload any sample code (if u have it)"

I've never developed any project like this using dotnet. Sorry :-)

"Or provide me a link to any such tutorial?"

Google for "flash lite socket xml"

and see flash lite 2.x/3.x documentation for XMLSocket implementation

Good luck !

• 6. Re: FlashLite 2.1 - Write to database/text file!

Hey Thommas,

Thnx once again for all your replies....U are doing a great job by helping the needy people out here!

As ever,

Vinayak Kadam