• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate 4 won't stop using my webcam

Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all.

I am using Adobe Captivate 4 to make some projects.

The problem is, after i install AC4 i can't use my webcam.

I reinstalled my OS, and i installed my applications one by one and after instaling AC4 my webcam stops working.

It says to close the application that is using it.

How can i stop AC4 to use my webcam?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is this an external or internal WebCam?

This is odd because Captivate generally cannot record using a WebCam. However, I note that my Microsoft LifeChat WebCam also has a built in microphone. So I'm wondering if it's the Microphone that is being used or seen by Captivate.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I think my compadre Rick might be on to something.(perhaps Captivate is using a built-in microphone of the webcam instead of whatever microphone you prefer for voice recording.)

Alexu84, you can check this by Clicking the Audio menu > Settings and see if your webcam device is listed in the dropdown of Audio Devices. Make sure that the webcam microphone is NOT selected and see what happens.

I sometimes go into Windows Control Panel > Sound > Audio Devices (varies with your flavor of OS) and make your Captivate microphone the default.

John

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not giving more details.

My OS is Windows XP with SP2 and the webcam is Microsoft Lifceam VX-500 (not 5000).

This webcam doesn't have a built in microphone.

I've been through Control Panel and played with all the settings and nothning.

I have to mention that i've downloaded and installed only Adobe Captivate 4, not the entire Adobe eLearning suite.

Even so, when i haved installed Adobe eLearning suite, i had the same problem with my webcam.

I tried upgrading my SO to Service Pack 3 and this problem was still there.

L.E.

Here is the message that i am getting.

I've Google'it and found no solution.

Error.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to be 100% sure that Adobe Captivate doesn't have a conflict with another software from my PC, so i have reinstalled my OS. After installing Windows XP i tested the camera and it was ok. Then i've installed Adobe Captivate 4 and i've tried the webcam and...it stoped working. Perhaps Adobe Captivate uses a *.dll or a  *.ocx file that is reserved for webcam or for video. I am dissapointed of AC 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I completely understand your frustration. It certainly seems there is a conflict between LifeCam and Captivate. However, this is very unusual because Captivate really has no connection capability to webcams - only microphone devices. Since you say LifeCam does not have a microphone I can't explain this and no one has reported a similar problem.

However, there have been problems reported with Microsoft's LifeCam. I found this link on their site which may offer some help for troubleshooting it.

Perhaps if your LifeCam is configured properly, then Captivate and LifeCam can exist and play happily.

Here is the Microsoft web page

Troubleshoot failures to find new LifeCam hardware

Sorry you're having this trouble. Perhaps this will resolve it. Meanwhile, it would help us all if you would report this to Adobe at this link:

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=5

Thanks

John Daigle

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what my colleague offered, I note that you report you install the Web Cam software and it works until after you install Captivate. What happens if you install Captivate first, THEN install the WebCam?

Have you tried that install order?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The webcam doesn't require a instalation.

It's simply plug and play.

I tried searching for a software, but for this model Microsoft doesn't have a driver.

L.E.

The link johndaigle gived me was the first one i tried when i found this problem.

I searched and tried everything i found on Google and nothing worked.'

I have to mention that last night i uninstalled AC4 and ...my webcam started working

By the way, i am working with AC4 the trial version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources