• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4 with embedded swf - publish to one swf?

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I have a lovely cap 4 with an embedded swf. It exports as two swf files (no skin, no html) and plays fine except. . .

We now want to place the content on a wiki and have run into difficulties with the wiki renaming the swfs and rendering the links useless.

I have set the Flash versions for both caps to flash 7. I have also ensured that the publish option to externalize animations is not checked.

I have searched through the forums but cannot tell if there is a way to publish a cap 4 with an embedded swf as a single swf.

Is there a way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally CP4 should embed any SWFs into the main Captivate SWF. The only time I have seen it not doing that is if the SWF to embed contains some very complex code.

You didn't by any chance tick the "Externalize resources - Animations" in Preferences - Publish settings?

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you cannot do is create a full motion recording on one slide and then place it on another. All recordings on the timeline should say "Captured Animation". If any shows as full motion recording IN THE TIMELINE then it will export as a separate swf. If this is the case:

1. Duplicate a captured animation on the current slide

2. Place it below the animation that is exporting on the timeline and extend for the same amount of time

3. Double click on the captured animation, click Library ... and then choose the full motion recording you wish it to play

Then it won't export a separate .swf.

Let me know if this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

Can you please expound on that? I'm confused by what you said.

I just tested and it seems that after I record I'm able to copy the Full Motion Recording (FMR) and paste on other slides with no issue. So the statement about being unable to create one on one slide and copy to another doesn't seem to be true.

Admittedly I was initially stumped by your mention of the Timeline reporting Captured Animation VS Fullmotion. So for anyone else that is a bit bewildered by this, here is what I found. If you have recorded using either total FMR or by performing a click and drag during slide-by-slide recording where a small FMR is created, indeed these say Captured Animation on the timeline. But if you copy one of these and paste onto a blank slide or if you reveal the Library and drag from the Library to a blank slide, that's when the Timeline reports Fullmotion as the name, because that's the name in the Library.

Either way, in all the testing I still ended up with a single SWF when I published unless I opted to externalize FMR SWF in the preferences. (The default setting has the feature turned off so you end up with a single SWF. That is, until I elected to publish using AS3. Oddly, when publishing as AS3, only the SWFs that were placed on blank slides using Copy/Paste or the library will pop out separately. So my guess is that this is the key factor in this case.

Try double checking that you are using AS2 and not AS3 if you desire a single SWF output.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the feedback. I must not have been overly clear in what I was trying to accomplish, though.

Here's what I am doing:

1. Create a captivate with a recorded demo, a zoom, and some rollovers (it is about 8 slides total and no full motion recording).

2. Publish the captivate to swf (AS2, Flash 9, did not select to externalize resources)

3. Create a new, single slide captivate with a greater width and a sidebar, static caption.

4. Insert the swf from the captivate with the demo as animation into the new captivate (using insert > animation).

5. Publish the new captivate to swf (AS2, Flash 9., did not select to externalize resources)

This process produces two swfs. As long as the two swfs are stored in the same folder, when I click to launch the swf single slide corresponding to the single slide captivate everything works fine.

I have tried changing the AS versions as well as the flash versions, but get the same results.

I have tested this process using swfs produced from other programs and, on export, I do get a single swf.

I am wondering if there is something about having a captivate swf that forces the two-file export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I have create small swfs in Cap4, then embed them in the main project that holds everything. But when I publish I get all SWFs in the output rather than a single SWF.

I can't see a work around except to have a single project with a load of slides, easily over 200 probably, embedding SWFs is much tidier, but not without a single SWF final output.....aaarrrggghhh.....

hope youve got a solution,

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Captivate isn't friendly with creating .swf files and then importing them back into a main project. The only thing I can suggest you try is if you have created a full motion recording in your library, to duplicate it then right click, choose Properties -> Import and then import the .swf into the FMR.

Worth a try, Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

That's actually an older workaround for Captivate 3. Captivate 4 offers a new option that I'm wondering if will help here.

If you click Edit > Preferences > Project > Publish Settings, the default seems to be NOT to externalize resources, meaning that you should end up with a single SWF. I'm wondering if that has been double-checked.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

That would be something for Nick to double check. However for some reason CP4 does externalize .swf files even though that preference isn't checked. A good example would be if you create a .swf in Flash CS4 that uses the 3D tools. CP will completely choke when you try to "embed" a .swf into the main file. The only way it will work is an external file. The same goes for an animated .gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

thanks for the tips.......BUT......still no luck.

Heres what I'm getting.

I create a single swf in cap 4, about 6ish slides - im doing this about 5 times as im recording various things. Each swf is published exactly as the screenshot above, no externalize options are selected, its AS2 - though i dont think that matters for these, and everything else appears the same as youve shown.

Im also publishing in the SWF size and settings as custom - anti alias is off, compress FMR is off, BMP is High 24bit, JPEG 100%, advanced and compress swf are both unchecked as these were giving me hassels with artifacts.

So I end up with 6 small swfs, all playing nicely.

I then embed each swf in my main project that contains everything, nav screens, TOC, slides seperating each swf. I publishi out using the exact same options I have for the others. No externalize options, flash 7, custom swf size etc etc....no audio in the project except for the typing and mouse click noises which may be turned off.

Everything I've read said with these settings I should get a seperate swf.......but no such luck.

I'm wondering however, if I end up hosting these on an Adobe Connect Pro server (we recently aquired one) will it matter? Uploading all the swfs and the .htm that is created could be enough to make the project appear seemless.....im not sure - maybe a connect question not for this forum...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Importing swf generated from a captivate 4 recording seemed to be "externalized" automatically during published, after playing with the different flash player as well as action script version still unsuccessful. also I have observed that those imported swf's just keep on playing though moved into another slide.

anyone who has clearer solution(s) to this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I just made a test file and couldn't duplicate the issue however this issues has happened to myself and a co-worker. I haven't got the original file but if I run across this issue again I'll post the .cp.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources