Exit

Hyperlink to a zip file fails during compile

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHTML v.5.0.3

Windows XP, Office 2007

In my help file I create a hyperlink to a *.zip file (128MB) that is located on my C drive.

The Zip appears in my baggage files.

The Zip file contains an .exe and .msi file.

Everything compiles when creating the chm except the zip file.

Media Manager Demo 3.0.0.5.zip
HHC5001: Error:
Media Manager Demo 3.0.0.5.zip :
An error occurred while reading "c:\Program Files\RoboHelp Office\RoboHTML\ESI Demo Kit\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_0\Media Manager Demo 3.0.0.5.zip".

HHC5003: Error:
Media Manager Demo 3.0.0.5.zip :
Compilation failed while compiling Media Manager Demo 3.0.0.5.zip.

The following files were not compiled:

I've searched for info on this topic but can't find any. Is it possible to create a hyperlink to a Zip file?

Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the fact that the zip file contains an executable may be the issue here. People are rightly scared of the security risk of CHM files containing executable code. So much so that Microsoft have release numerous security updates. You may be better placing the zip files on a website/server and linking to them there.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Colum may be spot on, but in case that isn't quite it, you may wish to change the file name so that instead of this:

It's something like this:

Media_Manager_Demo_3_0_0_5.zip

Note that each space now has an underscore as well as each of the dots having underscores.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick and Colum, thanks for your quick replies.

The underscores in the name didn't work. I decided to attach the .exe and .msi files seperately instead of in a zip to see if I could narrow down the issue to the zip containing an .exe or if it's one of the two files alone. Come to find out it's the .msi file that's the problem. The .exe is fine and can be saved to the PC or LAN. The .msi file isn't compiling. For now I'm just going to link the user back to our website that has the program they need to run. The person using this .chm may not have Internet access so I was trying to avoid that. They'll just have to install the program in question beforehand. In the meantime any word on .msi incompatibility with .chm?

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp