• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH5X Merged WebHelp

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Merged WebHelp project with 6 children.  The help is for a software system with 6 different components (children).  The users could remain in 1 child to do all their searching.  However, some of my children share core topics.  My dilemma is how to create a topic that is in child 1 but can also be displayed in child 2.  I could create a cross project link from child 1 to child 2, but will the topic show up in child  2's TOC?  Each child has its own TOC.  Also if I  create a cross project link from child 1 to child 2 can the users easily get back to child 2?  I have cut and pasted and created duplicate topics in the past but I want to avoid that it my new revised Help.  I am sorry that I am not explaining this very well. I have read Peter Grainge's info but could not find an answer to this question.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us how these 6 projects are being delivered? Are you delivering all six merged together or just certain projects depending on the components the end user installs. If the former, a link from child 1 topic to child 2 topic will display in the TOC if it is already in the child 2 TOC. As for getting back, this could be handled by a link back to the topic in child 1.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. They are all delivered together as one product. After I posted I did find something on Grainge's site that said if you want a page in The TOC of Child 2 that links to a topic in Child 3 that you should use a redirect. What do you think about that as an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is an excellent idea, that's why a put it there.

To be more serious, the alternative is topic duplication. Check how it works with TOC synchronisation to make sure you are happy with that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I have the info and intend to try it. From my brief reading your instructions direct me to create the redirect as described in "setting up a parent project TOC". Is that correct? I have never done that before. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks for the wealth of resources you provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll say No and that should guarantee someone coming up with something.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I have included a screen shot of my merged TOC.  I want to include topics housed in DZSLIST in DZSTable.  Using your redirect method, can you tell me what I need to do next? I have RH5X.  Thanks.mergedhelptoc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You create a blank topic, no content, in DZSL Table that you put in the TOC with whatever name you need.

You add the redirect to that topic.

When the user clicks the link, the redirect kicks in and the target topic will open.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter. In step2 of the redirect, you say to copy and paste the java code and amend the path to the topic in Child1 that you want to be the default. Question 1: I work on one drive but the final will all be put on another drive. If I have a lot of these redirects should I get one of our programmers to write a find and replace program when I am completed?

Question 2: Do I need to generate the entire merged webhelp project in order to test this? Thank you again for your expertise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You enter a relative path. That will be the same in the output so drive letters don't get used.

It would be best to generate all to ensure the TOC is correct. You could try just the project with the redirect in first and then go for all if it doesn't work.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp